Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Balls steering head bearings, 78 GS1000E, did you use the top and bottom seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Balls steering head bearings, 78 GS1000E, did you use the top and bottom seals?

Folks,

I am about to install the triples in my 1978 GS1000E - as of today, I installed the top and bottom bearing races in the frame. Before I install the bottom bearing onto the steering stem I have a few questions:

1. For those who are using All Balls bearings, did you use the top and bottom seals provided in the bearing kit - according to the bikes original parts fiche, there were no seals used from the factory.

2. In the bikes factory design, there is a shim that sits between the lower bearing and the lower triple. If you DID use the seals, did you install this shim below below the seal, stack the seal on top, then install the bearing? OR did you omit the shim entirely because the steel portion of the seal adds clearance below the bearing and thus acts like a shim?

Thanks for the help!
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

Anyone? Bumpity?
    René Descartes

Comment

I forgot to put that seal in,don't remember a shim either.Seems to be fine without anything.Used All Balls bearings.

Comment

I used both seals and the shim. No issues.
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
        1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
          I used both seals and the shim. No issues.
          If I could do a test fit, I would - unfortunately, you can't press on the bottom bearing and then remove it easily. If I had an old bearing, I'd take a die grinder to the center to clearance it so it could slip on the bottom stem easily and then I could do a clearance check, but alas, I destroyed the old one removing it...
          René Descartes

Comment

When I did the steering head bearings on my 850 I used the bottom seal but not the top seal. I omitted the spacer washer but I don't think it matters eather way...
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I suppose my next question is : who uses seals and who doesn't use them at all?
              René Descartes

Comment

I used the seal with the All Balls kit on the 1100, it must be a universal seal cause it has lots of play. The shim is to aid in removal.

With the 1000 I used the OEM seal, they do come with a seal from the factory, it is not shown on the fische though.

51644-12c00 is the part number
                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                  I used the seal with the All Balls kit on the 1100, it must be a universal seal cause it has lots of play. The shim is to aid in removal.

With the 1000 I used the OEM seal, they do come with a seal from the factory, it is not shown on the fische though.

51644-12c00 is the part number
                  So, they added a shim underneath the bottom bearing to give a smidge of clearance so you can get a chisel/etc under there for future bearing removal - that's interesting... If so, I will probably use the top and bottom seals and omit the shim. The overall thickness of the top and bottom seals is pretty darn close to the thickness of the shim, so, it's a wash.
                  René Descartes

Comment

Working...
                  X