dunlop d404 opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dunlop d404 opinions?

Who has experience with the d404 tires? The 650g is wearing a set that is cracking between the treads so i'm gonna need new tires in the not so distant future, and at least the front keeps loosing air if i don't move it around. I kinda like them, but don't have enough seat time to make any reasonable comparisons about other tires. Spock is also wearing d404s and he handles pretty well with them. Surprisingly, sarge the kz is wearing kenda challengers that are way older and the are looking better. They are about 10 years old and are still nice and sticky, and not showing any noticeable signs of age degradation, however they will be replaced in the spring since they are still holding up and he doesn't get ridden as much as spock does, since spock is the designated commuter

I'd put modern tires on all of them. 404s were designed in the stone ages, and they ride like it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Which ones would you recommend? I'd like to put something that has good traction, wear properties, decent longevity, but won't break the bank

Comment

Avon RoadRider AM 26 fits your description.

Comment

I love them myself. Great hook up in then twisties and I cant find anything to complain about with the D404s.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I wouldn't use Kenda tires to push the bike across the drive way much less use them on the road. Time for some serious tire investment.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I had D404's on a GL1100 Goldwing a few years ago. They rode pretty good, gripped well, and worked in the wet. My only complaint was they wore down rather quickly but the Goldwing is a heavy bike and it was ridden hard too.

I currently have Michelin Commander II on my GS850 and they are really nice, good grip, grip in wet, corner well and are quiet on the road surface.
              With only about 4000 miles on them I can't tell you about longevity -- but they advertise longer life due to a dual compound where the center is ahrder than the shoulders of the tire -- they look good right now so maybe they are right...

Finding them in your size may be a challenge - but they are available in many sizes
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

The kendas that are on sarge are only on it cause they came with him. Like i said, since they seem to be holding up for the time being, they'll get swapped next season

Comment

If you are impressed by the Kenda Challengers, I must say that you will be REALLY impressed by anything else.

The Avon RoadRider that was suggested (make sure it's not the Road Runner) is good, but seems to be biased more toward grip in the turns by having a sharper profile that puts more rubber on the road while turning. Some of us don't spend all of our motorcycling time leaned that far over, so most of that advantage is wasted on us.

Depending on your riding style, the Michelins that were suggested are good, but if you need inexpensive tires that happen to work well and last at least a modest amount of time, the Shinko TourMaster 230 should be on your list, as well. I have them on all the GSes in my stable, but none of them has gone far enough to see how many miles they will last.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The only thing that's impressing me about the kendas is the condition relative to their age. They are still soft and pliable, not showing serious signs of aging, but i think that's due to how it was stored by the PO while he was putting it back together.

Comment

Kendas are good fun for burnouts.
                      That is all.

Comment

Been running the 404 for a while now. Spirited twisty riding and no complaints at all.
                        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

404's are predictable. Predictably mediocre.
                          The tread tends to "block up" (very uneven tread-face) very early in the life of the tire.
                          No, I have never had one of the rears break loose where it should not have. No, I never blew one out. They are just mediocre.

I honestly think I prefer a Shinko 712 to the 404. The carcass is more rigid on the Shinko. It is absolutely amazing how many 404's were sold over the years. And, yes, I have seen MANY guys ride them into the cords.................but, not THIS guy!

Comment

Working...
                          X