spoke rim help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spoke rim help

So i have a 82 GS750E , and it has the cast rims on it right now . i am wanting a set of spoke rims to swap into it . I have read that the 78 came with wire rims that are a direct swap as they came with 2 disks in the front and one rear , the same as mine . these seem to be hard to find though . Does anyone know if the gs550 spoke rims will fit or if there is another set to look for that will fit .
    Thanks

You would need to change wheel bearings, the 550 axle is thinner. Unfortunately the 550s with spokes came with drum rear brakes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      You would need to change wheel bearings, the 550 axle is thinner. Unfortunately the 550s with spokes came with drum rear brakes.
      OK great to know , thanks . so 550 wheels are out , i just found a gs1000 with spokes not too far , but it looks to have a single front disk , does anyone know if it is drilled and tapped for a second rotor and if the rear is the same ?
      Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2015, 12:53 PM.

Comment

On my 550 I used spoked GS1000 wheels which are aluminum, a 550L swing arm and rear brake because it is a disc, and half of a Saltymonk front brake mod, as I only wanted one front brake. It stops well, two of his front brakes and it would stop incredibly well.

The single disc front wheels are drilled and tapped for two discs, they just put a plastic cover there to hide the holes. Also the discs for the dual front brakes are smaller in diameter then the ones for the single disc brake, but they fit the wheels the same.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X