GS1000GL Rear Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000GL Rear Shocks

At some point the rear shock have been replaced with Air Blader ones that I was told came off another model of bike. Last time out the right one started to leak oil, still hold are fine just now its covered in oil and does not work as a shock Whats is the best shocks to replace them with that wont break the bank

Generic MDI or EMGO shocks are all over eBay for about $100, but they are STIFF.

Hagon is a much better shock for about $200. Call Dave Quinn Motorcycles, he will talk to you to determine your size, riding style, passenger necessities, etc., and spec out the proper set for you.

Progressive Shocks are about $300. Good shocks, but not sure they are worth the extra money. Same ability to customize damping and spring rates at time of purchase, but it's usually not quite as personalized as with Dave Quinn

Other shocks are MUCH more expensive, but you have to have some rather specific needs to justify THAT extra expense.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you want to replace what's on it with something the same - it's likely the PO fitted Showa air shocks or similar. Co-incidentally, the same air shocks are fitted to many Harley models and many owners take them off to 'upgrade' them.
      Load of BS, mostly. However, that leaves a lot of fairly new taken-off shocks on ebay, often for as little as $30 the pair, with air lines still attached.
      They're a fine fit for most shafty GSs - including yours and mine. All that's required is to re-bush them or make some cylindrical bushes out of shim steel, as the H-D eyes are a touch large. Not a big problem, costing zero.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
      X