Rear shock mounting bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shock mounting bolt

Hey guys, so I was putting on a luggage rack I bought and was removing the nut from the suspension mount and the previous owner had somehow stripped it down terribly. Unfortunately this led to the bolt shearing off without me even lugging on it hard. Does anyone know if this is a double sided bolt that I can just replace or if this is a single piece welded to the frame? Thanks and I appreciate any assist, was hoping to go on a road trip last week but can't exactly do that with my suspension hanging off... the bike is an '81 GS850L.
    Attached Files

It is a single piece welded to the frame. You have several options. mount the rack and have someone spot weld it and fix it when you get back but this will do something to the rack of course. Tap it with a smaller bolt, a lot of people have done this and it's lasted for some time as you still have the lower bolt holding as well. Drill out the entire shaft and have another one welded in it's place.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I had the same thing happen to one of my bikes. I had enough of the bolt (looks like you do also) to tap it and it worked fine. If I remembered correctly, the bolt called for 3 outside washers and I reduced it to one after the repair.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks so much for the input, I found a guy who's gonna drill out the old piece and weld in a new bolt etc for me for around $100, so dammit, money, but yay at least it'll get fixed. Thanks again for the info and assist.

Comment

Wasn't there a member here who machines new shock mount bolts to your specs or there was something posted at one time that showed you how to fix that mounting bolt a couple different ways.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X