Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bead Sealer what is best?

Yeah I have an annoying slow leak.
    I do not like using things that may make corrosion worse.
    Anyone got a good product they use with success?

Tire Lubricant. Good stuff.
    A lifetime supply is like $6 and you kids will inherit most of it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Brand?..............

Comment

Advance auto sells it. I got it and its great but me too I forget the name. Comes in 1 big can w brush. Its actually bead sealer

Comment

I don't think the brand would matter much. No rocket chemistry involved here.

Comment

That and be sure the rims cleaned up well.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              That and be sure the rims cleaned up well.
              Simple green and a green scrubbie work extremely well for cleaning up the inside of a rim. No sealer should be necessary if the bead area is undamaged and clean.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Wire wheel in my die grinder works wonder as well.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

On my Toyota Tundra with 267,000 miles, the rims or the tires or the combo ???? all leaked at the beads . very small leaks, almost not visible with soap bubbles but tires all went flat in about 3 weeks. p.o.ed me bad haha
                  I demounted them and there wasn't much rust (steel wheels now) but the tire beads themselves werre kinda hard...and crusty.
                  I wire wheeled both the rims AND the tires lightly , gooped the hell oughta them with bead sealer .
                  been 2 months. all tires 35 lbs. I hope it lasts

Comment

Clean up the rim and it will seal fine without mucking with special goop.

Start with a green Scotchbrite pad soaked in WD-40. Use a wooden or plastic stick to scrape off chunks and crust. Escalate to a wire brush only if you have to.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Still the lube is a good idea. Helps the tire seat itself correctly without using excessive air pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Still the lube is a good idea. Helps the tire seat itself correctly without using excessive air pressure.
                        Absolutely: goes without saying.

If the rim is pitted (but still structurally OK -- it's a fine line), there are some sticky black goopy substances you can apply. They're messy and grody, but I guess you do what you have to.

You won't find this stuff at AutoClownz and the like -- try Napa or a farm store.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                        X