Tire size advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire size advice please.

So my recently pulled out of the corner (10 year coma) 850G is up and running great. I went through the whole bike and took it on a number of test rides. Probably 100 miles in the past 2 weeks.
    Needless to say I love the 850. Smooth and it just feels good. So....I was going to just enjoy it as a rat bike but I'm itching for a project.
    It's in horrible shape and is a prime candidate.
    I'm doing a brat style. Which basically means take all the useless crap off and put on some fat tires. Whatever. I have a plan for what should be a sharp bike.
    So to the point:
    1980' 850G has 19 front and 17 rear.
    Current tires 130 90 17 rear and 100 90 19 front. 2.5 rear 1.85 front
    Pretty standard sizes.
    So I'm going to use a Shinko 705 dual sport tire.
    Sizes available
    Front: 110 80 19 (only one they make)
    Rears: 17"
    120 70
    120 90
    130 80
    130 90
    140 80

These are 80% street, 20 off road.
    I really just want them for the looks and general local riding, I do have some gravel roads and get off the road at nature locations. My plans should result in a pretty sharp looking stripped down bike. I just want to be cool for once dammit.

So I want the front and rear tires to have a more balanced look size wise.
    Which would you suggest for the rear?
    Do you see any problems with that front size?

Also othere tips or advice on my plan are welcome.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2015, 02:05 PM.

I'm doing something similar, also Brat. I want to increase my rear wheel size, most Brats I've seen have the same size wheels as far as I can tell. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of love for anything other than traditional style here. There are a few Cafe guys around though. Good luck, I'd like to follow your build.

Comment

Personally, I'm looking at the Kenda K761s. They work still allow me to ride fairly fast & hit the dirt/gravel when I want. I wish they were a bit more knobby looking though.

Comment

I like the 705 , it has a nice aggressive look and they are H rated for the speed.
        There not much more than the tire you mentioned so that's why I picked them.
        That picture I posted is the before it has a Honda seat on it that was all I had laying around to test ride it.
        I think the 120 90 17 will be the best pic for me to have the front and rear tires appear somewhat similar.
        I think the 110 width will fit on the front. if I have to modify the fender I will

Comment

I'm really into the Brats. I'm having an internal struggle, I have a 78 1000. I picked up from someone locally, paid next to nothing. It didn't have a tank & I scored a Skunk for a good price, but it is rough lookin. Part of me hates to see a 78 customized so much... I don't want to cut the frame. And it doesn't have a kick start. Other than that, I'd tear it down to the frame & do a proper Brat, complete with a freshly powder coated frame.
          I don't know what to do.

Comment

The 110/80 on the front will slow down your steering on the street. Not sure what it will do off-road. Keep in mind that 110 is starting to crowd the fender. Not sure if the /80 will help or hurt.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Right on Steve theoretically being shorter it will lower the tire into the wider part of the fender opening to help squeeze in the extra width.

Comment

Bump.....wanna see what others may think.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                  Bump.....wanna see what others may think.
                  I use the Shinko 705's on my vStrom, 110/80R-19 front and 150/80R-17 rear which is stock, and am very pleased after 5200 miles of use. The front will probably go 10k total and the rear maybe reach 7k miles. Very good traction in most gravel and semi off road stuff, but it is not a knobby type grip, but then again you might not want to take the heavy 850G into worse stuff anyway.
                  I would use the 110/80-19 up front. It will have almost the same height and total diameter as the 100/90-19, but will be 10mm (less than 1/2 inch) wider which would equate to slightly less than 1/4" on either side towards the fender. I think there will be enough clearance for your fender brace but stick a pencil (about 1/4" thick) in either side to see if it touches.
                  I would use the 130/90-17 on the rear to match up about right. the 120/90-17 might be a little narrow for traction in the dirt.
                  The 705's handle great and I had no problems on the tail of the dragon and a lot of other challenging roads this year, grip fine in the rain, etc... but you will get a little more road noise on the highway over 75mph.
                  Motorcycle Superstore has a sale on Shinko right now and with coupon code get another 10% off with free shipping too on a set of those 705's...probably down to under $140 shipped for the set after all discounts applied.
                  Get the R tire which is radial and H rated, not the Q which is only a 99mph rated tire for the front. The rear 120 or 130 are not radial.
                  I would buy another set but am thinking of using street tires on the vStrom to see the difference.

NOTE: the 130/90-17 rear is a tube type tire and if you got the 130/80-17 it would be tubeless but a 1/2" smaller in diameter or 1/4" shorter radius which would slightly lower the bike. With a shorter sidewall it may be a little stiffer which has it's pluses in cornering and no dickering with a tube.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the awesome info.
                    You brought a few points up I hadn't thought of. Brian Wringer pm'd me very similar thoughts.
                    You are right, with the coupon and sale this would be a real good buy.

Comment

Reply to badjackson

All I know is I was searching cl for a project bike and figured why not just go for the 850 I have sitting here. It was in poor shape anyways.
                      Personally I would do a race inspired rebuild if I had a 1000. That's the bikes "nature". But once again condition determines what a bikes worth doing with. Some bikes are way past stock restoration. That's why I like the poor condition bikes, I don't have to take a nice stock example and put my own "vision" into ot, altering it forever. A beater bike I just do whatever I want. Lol

Comment

I've been thinking the same thing. In was actually looking for an 850. But I'd like to pay less than $500 considering I only paid "a case of beer" for my liter. That could take time and the liter is already in my shop.
                        Please post some pics when you get your new tires... I'm anxious to see it with some dual sport tires on it.

Comment

Originally posted by BADJACKSON View Post
                          I've been thinking the same thing. In was actually looking for an 850. But I'd like to pay less than $500 considering I only paid "a case of beer" for my liter. That could take time and the liter is already in my shop.
                          Please post some pics when you get your new tires... I'm anxious to see it with some dual sport tires on it.
                          Well it's going to be a while considering I just sandblasted and primed the frame yesterday. Lol
                          Doing a frame up resto/ mod. Ordered new shocks, gas tank, the tires and some other bits all this week. It going to be a slow reassembly.

Comment

Are you going start a build thread?
                            I also plan on doing a fame up resto, probably powder coating a lot of stuff. Just haven't decided if it will be the 1000 or not.

Comment

Originally posted by BADJACKSON View Post
                              Are you going start a build thread?
                              I also plan on doing a fame up resto, probably powder coating a lot of stuff. Just haven't decided if it will be the 1000 or not.
                              I've been taking pictures.....may start a thread eventually. I'll be more motivated once I start some reassembly.

Comment

Working...
                              X