No announcement yet.

Tire size advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found an 850 near by that runs & rides... I hope I can come up with the cash before he sells it. Comes with a parts bike. That would be a great solution to my problem.
    I'll be following your build. Good luck.

Comment

Always keep in mind that the speedo gear drive is calibrated to the stock size tire. If you change the circumference of the tire the speedo is gonna be off. Not saying they are super accurate as they are, but you get the idea.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks chuck. I wondered when you and tKent (I know you both have experience with a variety of bikes)would chime in. Lol
        Yeah, I may run an aftermarket speedo or a small digital unit that would require calibrating anyways. I certainly appreciate the tip tho.
        1 got the Shinko 705's. Probably gonna hit the garage and mount them tonight.
        Sweet. Motorcycle superstore. 136$ for the pair. Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by BADJACKSON View Post
          Unfortunately there isn't a lot of love for anything other than traditional style here.
          Not quite true - there's not a lot of love for anyone who takes a good, well-cared for bike and ruthlessly chops the crap out of it - and even worse, can't finish the job because they're a clueless twit who should have a licence to own tools.
          Otoh, most around here see that a beat-up heap is better to be put back on the road as a cafe, chop, brat, whatever, as at least it's another GS saved from the crusher, for a while at least.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Dont know if they are still in business, but back in the day with hot rods and speedos of an "unknown" history we sent them to a place in Flint Mi called SPECMO. They do allm sorts of calibrations and can tweek a speedo to whatever setup you specify your running.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Any Grimly...you got it right. Hacksaw wizards that have zero concept or vision and a thought out plan are the ones scoffed at. Just tune into the Craiglist Funnies thread for the reviews.

Comment

Just googled SPECMO and see they are now in Madison Hts..my home neighborhood of the Detroit metro area!!!

Comment

Absolutely. Sure our passion is the GS line but I hate when I see any old ujm on CL that you can tell was in good shape and likely a nice condition all original and see it half finished or hacked up. Too many dreamers out there with zero tool skill.
                  Thanks for the info on specmo, I seriously doubt I will go that route. But good info nonetheless.
                  As you can see the 850 before picture.....I. can only make it better , that's for sure

Comment

Well, not to hijack this thread, but I bought an 850 "last night" so that I have to chop & hack up my Liter. I don't knowing that will please you guys or not, I don't really care though.
                    As for the speedo gear coordinating with the tire size, that's really good info. I'm getting ready to order tires for both bikes...

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BADJACKSON View Post
                      Well, not to hijack this thread, but I bought an 850 "last night" so that I have to chop & hack up my Liter. I don't knowing that will please you guys or not, I don't really care though.
                      As for the speedo gear coordinating with the tire size, that's really good info. I'm getting ready to order tires for both bikes...

Thanks!
                      So long as you're not a bodge artist, have at it.
                      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Essplain "Bodge" artist please.

Comment

Someone who thinks he can produce the world's best ever bobber/tracker/bagger/whatever in a couple of weekends. But he then realises he has neither the skills nor the tools to do so. And concepts like braking, suspension, handling etc never even entered his mind. So, having destroyed half of the motorcycle, he advertises the rotting corpse for three times what he paid for a good, usable bike.
                          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Ok, well... I don't think I fit that category (they all say that), I'm hoping to have it done by Spring or Summer. And, really, I just want to clean up the ass end, not change any geometry, fork angles, or anything like that.
                            Maybe I'll prove you guys right. Maybe I'll prove you wrong. Either way, it should be fun.

Comment

Cool, enjoy it - it's supposed to be fun!! And there's nothing wrong with putting your own personal style on things.
                              1980 GS550ET

Comment

You can't beat $136 for a set of 705's...what size tires did you settle on?

Comment

Working...
                                X