Softer shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Softer shocks

I replaced my worn out OEM shocks with a pair of Progressives. After 500 miles of riding, I'm finding the Progressives are much too stiff. Additional info - when I sit the bike, they don't compress at all. Can anyone suggest alternatives that are softer for a lightweight rider who never rides 2 up?

I'd contact Progressive and see if they can help you. They may have softer springs available.
    Also, do those shocks have compression damping adjustment? If so, dial it back to the minimum.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
      I'd contact Progressive and see if they can help you. They may have softer springs available.
      Also, do those shocks have compression damping adjustment? If so, dial it back to the minimum.
      It's already dialed back to the minimum. I bought the regular springs rather than the heavy and for my weight, the regular springs have no give.

Comment

Contact Dave Quinn Motorcycles. They sell Hagon's for around $200. Many spring rates available. He'll set it up specifically for your weight and riding style.
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
        1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by trtsmb View Post
          It's already dialed back to the minimum. I bought the regular springs rather than the heavy and for my weight, the regular springs have no give.
          Gotcha. I'd still contact them and see if they can help
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I replaced my worn out OEM shocks with a pair of Progressives. After 500 miles of riding, I'm finding the Progressives are much too stiff. Additional info - when I sit the bike, they don't compress at all. Can anyone suggest alternatives that are softer for a lightweight rider who never rides 2 up?
            Now I am not sharing at all because I think it the cure for your problem but,,,,,,, and it is a big but; what happens out back can be directly related to what is happening up front. I had the same issue on my bike and I have an 1981 450T. Here is what I noticed though, there was a sharper edge to smaller bumps which made me initially think the shocks were too stiff but if I hit a hard impact I could feel the dampening though the shocks stroke and the best way I can liken it to is how a German car rides vs like a Lincoln. The better and more controlled dampening qualities in the rear shocks exasperated the mushiness in the front and the bike felt like it was pogoing. Expansion joints especially kicked my butt and darn near made me sick. When I cornered even semi aggressively the front fork would dive on turn in and it had this hinging affect mid corner.

I also ride motocross so I leaned on that a little for a solution that you can also try. I raised the fork oil height instead of raising the spring rate or thickness of the oil. On both of my YZ's which use different forks, I raised the 48mm forks to 114mm from 130mm and 120mm from 130mm from the top on the 46mm forks. What I have found is the fork stands up a tad better but loses none of their plushness through their stroke. I tried this on my GS with (gasp) DEX 6 ATF and the ride quality is night and day. I may be wrong but I didn't immediately see a spec for measuring the fork oil height from the top of the forks but it may be out there. I used a syringe so I was accurate.

I am sure someone will say I am a bozo for doing this but again I love the results. I want to be clear, I do not state this as a cure to what you are experiencing. Food for thought.

Comment

There are loads of used 450 and 550 shocks on ebay- take a chance, you might find something with decent life left that will give you a comfortable ride. I bought a 550 used set in july for $30 delivered - look good, but more importantly they work well. Spending $200 to get your butt beaten up ain't for me!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

When I complained about how stiff my Progressives were, they told me they only have one shock body, a 450 gets the same damping as an 1100GK. No matter what you do with springs it will be stiff as Hell on the lighter bikes. They are fine on the 1100 and the massive 850, not so much on anything lighter.

I wish they had told me that before I bought them.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  There are loads of used 450 and 550 shocks on ebay- take a chance, you might find something with decent life left that will give you a comfortable ride. I bought a 550 used set in july for $30 delivered - look good, but more importantly they work well. Spending $200 to get your butt beaten up ain't for me!
                  I may do that. I'm sure I could get back a fair chunk of money that I spent on the progressives considering they have less than 500 miles on them.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    When I complained about how stiff my Progressives were, they told me they only have one shock body, a 450 gets the same damping as an 1100GK. No matter what you do with springs it will be stiff as Hell on the lighter bikes. They are fine on the 1100 and the massive 850, not so much on anything lighter.

I wish they had told me that before I bought them.
                    That makes two of us. I bought the Progressives because people here raved about how great they are.

Comment

Imo, Progressive is old skool. Check out Deycore.com. Guy's only business is shocks and he knows his stuff. Fixed my antique Fox shocks and can custom build stuff.
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

This will probably sound like a dumb question but can I put OEM springs on a progressive shock?

Comment

Can't remember if it will fit or not, but it won't help the stiff damping.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Can't remember if it will fit or not, but it won't help the stiff damping.
                            That's about what I was thinking but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I got home from my ride today and felt like the bike beat me up.

Comment

That's about what I was thinking but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I got home from my ride today and felt like the bike beat me up.
                              Unless the spring rate is just crazy stiff, that harsh feeling is usually compression damping.

Comment

Working...
                              X