No announcement yet.

Softer shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rich, who makes decent shocks for those of us who like bikes that don't ride like a jackhammer?

Hagon, Progressive, Ikon, all ride like crap as far as I'm concerned.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
      Unless the spring rate is just crazy stiff, that harsh feeling is usually compression damping.
      Ditto to what tkent02 said, are there any options besides 30+ year old worn out shocks that aren't going to beat me up. FWIW, I weigh a little over 100 pounds gear and all.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Rich, who makes decent shocks for those of us who like bikes that don't ride like a jackhammer?

Hagon, Progressive, Ikon, all ride like crap as far as I'm concerned.
        Ohlins.

I know, not the answer you wanted.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I have a set on one bike. They are pretty good on the 1000, but not so nice on a lighter bike. But they are the "cheap" Ohlins with no damping adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by trtsmb View Post
            ..., are there any options besides 30+ year old worn out shocks that aren't going to beat me up. FWIW, I weigh a little over 100 pounds gear and all.
            When I was ordering Hagon shocks last year for my wife's bike, Dave Quinn asked a BUNCH of questions about what bike it was, what accessories it had, how much she weighed, her riding style, percentage of time carrying a passenger, how often the saddlebags and trunk were loaded, etc., etc., etc. Granted, our "gravitational attraction" is a bit higher than yours, but Dave said he was asking all the questions to choose the right damping rates for the springs that would be necessary.

After the new shocks were received and installed, we went for a ride. The improvement was DRAMATIC. Nice ride, good control, VERY pleased with the new shocks. She has Progressive fork springs at the front. I got a good deal on them from another member before I learned about Sonic springs, but she has a very nice-riding bike now.

On my own bike, I have Sonic fork springs and KONI shocks. I don't have enough time on the KONIs to a full evaluation, but I think they will do just fine, especially after some new seals, oil and maybe slightly higher-rate springs. They would probably be just fine on a stock 850, but I have all the GK luggage on there.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Showa air shocks - take-off from Harleys. Dial in your comfort level and they actually control the rear of an unruly GS850 rather well, varying between unloaded, fully loaded, gentle puttering about or ear-holing around the back roads.
              $30 - 50 a pair, can't go wrong - and often come complete with their linking air hoses.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                Showa air shocks - take-off from Harleys. Dial in your comfort level and they actually control the rear of an unruly GS850 rather well, varying between unloaded, fully loaded, gentle puttering about or ear-holing around the back roads.
                $30 - 50 a pair, can't go wrong - and often come complete with their linking air hoses.
                I actually have a 450.

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Air shocks are nice, if they are FULLY air (no metal spring), but they have some harsh limits, too.

Air, as a spring, is a wonderful thing. It is truly progressive by nature, and when set up properly, give a VERY nice ride, but there is still the hydraulic damping thing going on. If the damping is set up for a 600 pound bike with a 250 pound rider, a 100 pound rider on a 400 pound bike is going to find it rather harsh.

The beauty of air shocks is that the spring rate is ALWAYS correct, the air that you add only adjusts the height, for the amount of travel available. In fact, they work best when they just barely move when you sit on the bike, so they have about 80% of the travel left. (All-metal springs work that way, too.) If you have metal springs and air assist, things get interesting trying to adjust for spring rates. If your metal springs are wound for a progressive rate and you have air assist, it gets even MORE interesting. That is why progressively-wound springs (from companies like Progressive suspension) and air assist (even just the air trapped in the forks) are not a good idea for front suspension.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I actually have a 450.
                      I assume then, that you're not a large lady? These would be perfect, even on a middleweight bike, for the more amply-proportioned rider. I just throw that out there for those who might be looking for alternatives.
                      Help save Harley Shocks from the dumpster, is my new cause
                      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        I assume then, that you're not a large lady?
                        She answered that in post #17.

FWIW, I weigh a little over 100 pounds gear and all.
                        You can think of that as about 7 1/2 stone.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

I got more stones than that.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            I got more stones than that.
                            Haha . You should post a warning. Comments like that can lead to spitting coffee on the monitor.

Comment

Working...
                            X