Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear tire alignment?

Hi again, errbody!

So this GS300L has a 130/90/16 on the back. Stock size I believe is a 4.60-16, which equates to almost a 120/90/16. I've tried aligning the wheel by making the gaps between the the tire and swingarm equal, with the idea that the swingarm is reasonably symmetrical. If I'm wrong on that, then I accept any ridicule that comes at me. Anywho, with it lined up like that, the chain rubs the edge of the tire. I have it to where the chain doesn't rub, but the right edge of the tire is really, REALLY close to the swingarm.

I've held a makeshift straightedge(piece of 2x4) up against the sidewall to check it, and it's close. I'm just afraid the tire is just a little too big to align it more precisely without rubbing the chain. Am I just worrying over silliness? Or would it be a good idea to drop a tire size when it comes time to put a new tire on the back?

Forget about the swingarm being symmetrical. Try using the marks on the swingarm, but they aren't necessarily accurate either. For a quick check, measure from the center of the rear axle to the center of the swingarm pivot bolt on each side of the bike.

For the most accurate way (without using expensive lasers or something), do a Google search for the string method.

Comment

I agree, the tire is probably too big
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I keep forgetting the GS300 is different than the GS450 (I'm not even sure HOW different exactly). But if the swingarm is similar to a GS450, I can say that a 130/70-17 fits with a little bit of clearance.

Very well could be apples and oranges though.....

Comment

They're close to the same, but I agree it's pretty much apples and oranges. Now, I could lay a straightedge across the tire BEHIND the sprocket and see what kinda clearance I should have with that tire, right? Then adjust the wheel accordingly?

We got it with the 130 on the back, and I never thought anything of it till I put the O-ring chain and new sprockets on it.

Comment

Try checking how the chain is also tracking on the rear sprocket.
            1981 GS 1000GLX.
            1981 GS 1000G.
            1981 GS 650GLX.
            1975 TS 185.
            1972 100. Kawasaki.
            1968 100. Suzuki.
            1970 Z 50. Honda.
            1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
            1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Working...
            X