No announcement yet.

Best suspension setup within stock bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should compare the stock length and SU-143 to those SP36's. 1 1/2" is probably the max you would want but I think I added about 1" with the SU-145 but do not hold me to it. Do a search................... Even use Google to search GSR.

Comment

I am finding that stock shock length is 13.25" and those Ohlins I listed are 14.33". Do you feel that'd be too big of a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by mattfeet View Post
        I am finding that stock shock length is 13.25" and those Ohlins I listed are 14.33". Do you feel that'd be too big of a difference?
        did you read the post just above?

Comment

I did. You told me to compare stock vs. the Ohlins I posted, which I did. Im having trouble finding the exact stock shock length but it's in the 320-330mm neighborhood. Ohlins are 364mm, per that listing.

Comment

I did. You told me to compare stock vs. the Ohlins I posted, which I did. Im having trouble finding the exact stock shock length but it's in the 320-330mm neighborhood. Ohlins are 364mm, per that listing.
            1 1/2" is probably the max you would want but I think I added about 1"

Comment

So, per your recommendation(s), the 14.33" Ohlins should be a nice length for my GS1000. That is a 1.08" increase in rear shock height, approx. ~40mm.

Comment

Why do you prefer those over RaceTech? Is one legitimately better than the other? Who is the owner on here? I would like to at least start the conversation with him.

Matt
                Matt,

I'm the Sonic Springs guy. Our springs are virtually identical to Race-Tech's, and to all the other quality straight rate springs out there like Traxxion, Ohlins, Eibach, etc... We all use the same alloy and processing steps, spring technology is pretty basic.
                So you can buy from whoever you like and you'll get a quality product. Ours are a little cheaper because of our direct to the customer business model, and I like to think that our support and service is a little better. I do own a GS, so I have some relevant experience.
                I'd go with 1.0 springs and 15 weight fork oil. The Race-Tech emulators are a good product, and worth it if you're looking to maximize suspension performance. I would definitely go with the Ohlins shocks. A bit longer than stock is ok, but you have to be careful about overdoing it and running into stability issues.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

So, per your recommendation(s), the 14.33" Ohlins should be a nice length for my GS1000. That is a 1.08" increase in rear shock height, approx. ~40mm.

If you check the stock shock length for all the bikes listed I think you will find they are exactly like all the other GS's and so the 1" over is no accident and it would seems my brain is not all gone.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                    Matt,

I'm the Sonic Springs guy. Our springs are virtually identical to Race-Tech's, and to all the other quality straight rate springs out there like Traxxion, Ohlins, Eibach, etc... We all use the same alloy and processing steps, spring technology is pretty basic.
                    So you can buy from whoever you like and you'll get a quality product. Ours are a little cheaper because of our direct to the customer business model, and I like to think that our support and service is a little better. I do own a GS, so I have some relevant experience.
                    I'd go with 1.0 springs and 15 weight fork oil. The Race-Tech emulators are a good product, and worth it if you're looking to maximize suspension performance. I would definitely go with the Ohlins shocks. A bit longer than stock is ok, but you have to be careful about overdoing it and running into stability issues.
                    Thanks for chiming in, Rich. I will likely place an order with you for springs. I may go with some racetech emulators as well, to maximize performance. Do you feel the 14.25" Ohlins I listed are too long? I can likely get stock length Ohlins for the same price but if I will see a benefit (eg. sharper steering) by going with the longer units, then I am all ears. My bike will rarely, if ever, see speeds in triple digits aside from idiotic on-ramp shenanigans.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      If you check the stock shock length for all the bikes listed I think you will find they are exactly like all the other GS's and so the 1" over is no accident and it would seems my brain is not all gone.
                      Yea, you're SU145's that you sold were listed at 330 +/- 10mm adjustability. Im not trying to be catty or argumentative, just trying to figure out what the best setup for ME is, given the parameters outlined in OP and in subsequent posts. If the 14.25" Ohlins are of benefit, then hell yea, Ill scoop them up. Otherwise, Ill put in an order for stock shock length Ohlins of the same model.

Comment

Yea, you're SU145's that you sold were listed at 330 +/- 10mm adjustability. Im not trying to be catty or argumentative, just trying to figure out what the best setup for ME is, given the parameters outlined in OP and in subsequent posts. If the 14.25" Ohlins are of benefit, then hell yea, Ill scoop them up. Otherwise, Ill put in an order for stock shock length Ohlins of the same model.
                        I recommend you listen to an expert like Rich.........

Comment

just trying to figure out what the best setup for ME is, .
                          Do you want comfort, a hard firm ride, high speed stability or quick and light handling in the corners? Really you should do some reading before you decide anything. Since you are starting with a very long and heavy motorcycle I would assume you want comfort and high speed stability, but I might be way off here.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

In order of desirability:
                            1. Great handling <85mph
                            2. Comfort
                            3. Light handling in corners

The bike will NOT be tracked frequently but will be pushed hard through windy roads.

Comment

I'd go with the longer Ohlins, springs from Rich and the emulators. It should ride and handle great compared to the stock stuff.

The Roadriders are great tires. Unlike car tires, I have not seen any advantage to radial tires unless you are talking about the very wide ones on modern sport bikes. The old bikes on skinnier wheels don't get any better traction, radial tires don't last any longer, and when a radial motorcycle tire gets to the wear bars the carcass is paper thin, which to me is very scary. The radial tires are a little bit lighter, on a sport bike with huge tires and modern suspensions it matters a little, but on these big old klunkers with their heavy wheels and brakes there just isn't any advantage. Unless you just want to spend money.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                                I'd go with the longer Ohlins, springs from Rich and the emulators. It should ride and handle great compared to the stock stuff.

The Roadriders are great tires. Unlike car tires, I have not seen any advantage to radial tires unless you are talking about the very wide ones on modern sport bikes. The old bikes on skinnier wheels don't get any better traction, radial tires don't last any longer, and when a radial motorcycle tire gets to the wear bars the carcass is paper thin, which to me is very scary. The radial tires are a little bit lighter, on a sport bike with huge tires and modern suspensions it matters a little, but on these big old klunkers with their heavy wheels and brakes there just isn't any advantage. Unless you just want to spend money.
                                Just as a benchmark. Initially I had done everything to get the most out of a stock platform for my GS1100ED(it was a specific objective). That includes everything mentioned fresh bearings all around, SU-143s, emulators, progressive springs, fork brace, 15W oil, Sport Demons. The bike rode great in fact Chef1366 (at the time) said it was the best riding GS he had ever been on.

And as I mentioned I felt very comfortable pushing it at most any speed up to about 60 mph, at 70-80mph plus it started to feel a little wishy in for example down hill sweepers.

I did a 1166 and it did not like the extra power even on the straights.

Went to 18" GSXR wheels with radials (also bandit swinger and GSXR forks, emulators) but now SU-145 and the bike was transformed. Probably not like 17" gear, but now you could push/power the bike comfortably another 30-40 mph above where you were before.

That 1000 doesn't have the grunt of the 1166 so might not matter as much, but to me after all the mods I did first all stock then 1st Gen GSXR it was the radial and wider tries that seemed to make the difference.
                                Last edited by posplayr; 12-31-2015, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X