Making sense of fork spring rates for my 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making sense of fork spring rates for my 850G

It's been 2 weeks and no return email from Progressive for my needed fork springs...guess I'll move on....so I just visited Sonic's site. Hey, they actually have a listing for 850Gs....but here is where my question comes in after plugging in these variables-
    -200lb rider w/ gear{me 190lb}.....600lb bike{guess} and "aggressive riding" yields a 1.1 spring rate
    -200lb rider....600lb bike and "normal riding" yields a 1.0 spring rate

...I, myself, tend to cruise most of the time when riding alone, but when with friends it can get spirited...you probably know how it gets with the "oh no you aren't pulling away from me" on some sections of road. My days of 2 click drops are pretty much gone....more like 1 now{ah, middle age/51}.
    Why the difference in rates? and is it that much different between the two rates - 1.0 and 1.1?
    Should I lean towards the 1.1 for possible usage or can I use a spacer for added preload to compensate?

Progressive??? Aren't they a insurance company? Sonics are the way to go👍
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

The owner of Sonic Springs is a member here. You might want to PM him for more info.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
        It's been 2 weeks and no return email from Progressive for my needed fork springs...guess I'll move on....so I just visited Sonic's site. Hey, they actually have a listing for 850Gs....but here is where my question comes in after plugging in these variables-
        -200lb rider w/ gear{me 190lb}.....600lb bike{guess} and "aggressive riding" yields a 1.1 spring rate
        -200lb rider....600lb bike and "normal riding" yields a 1.0 spring rate

...I, myself, tend to cruise most of the time when riding alone, but when with friends it can get spirited...you probably know how it gets with the "oh no you aren't pulling away from me" on some sections of road. My days of 2 click drops are pretty much gone....more like 1 now{ah, middle age/51}.
        Why the difference in rates? and is it that much different between the two rates - 1.0 and 1.1?
        Should I lean towards the 1.1 for possible usage or can I use a spacer for added preload to compensate?
        The difference in rates is 10%, enough to feel but not night and day. Keep in mind that "aggressive" in this context applies to cornering and braking. Lots of lean angle and/or very hard on the brakes. So if you're not regularly dragging pegs and braking to the point of the front tire howling, go with the 1.0s.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Can't get any more "from the horses mouth" than that! gotta love this site.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            Progressive??? Aren't they a insurance company? Sonics are the way to go
            Their web site/FB page seems a tad more....uhm, "other" bike oriented....guess that shows.
            ...and I have to agree...

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              The difference in rates is 10%, enough to feel but not night and day. Keep in mind that "aggressive" in this context applies to cornering and braking. Lots of lean angle and/or very hard on the brakes. So if you're not regularly dragging pegs and braking to the point of the front tire howling, go with the 1.0s.
              Thanks Rich, that's answers my question better than I'd hoped for! 1.0 springs just ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                Can't get any more "from the horses mouth" than that! gotta love this site.
                Well, someone never got back to me about possible spares he had...turns out for the better anyway. Btw, order any new rubber coated pegs lately?

Comment

I see that you have already ordered your springs, but just in case someone else is reading this, another factor to consider is if you have the additional weight of a fairing. A small, handlebar-mounted windshield probably won't matter much, but anything like a Vetter adds significat weight and would call for the 1.1 rate.
                  If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                    I see that you have already ordered your springs, but just in case someone else is reading this, another factor to consider is if you have the additional weight of a fairing. A small, handlebar-mounted windshield probably won't matter much, but anything like a Vetter adds significat weight and would call for the 1.1 rate.
                    Excellent point to add....oddly enough the Sonic site has provisions for adding a tank bag as added weight, but not for any kind of fairing - but to be totally fair about that, fairings run the gambit of lighter plexi type fairings in all sorts of sizes {small to full} to a full on Vetter type...then one could add radio/speaker weight to that as well.
                    All things to heavily{terrible pun} consider before purchasing a set of front springs. Ask first - order later.
                    ...my fairings have usually been my face shield with the lone exception of my old Yami FJ1100.

Comment

Working...
                    X