Opinions on these shocks for my 550/650 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on these shocks for my 550/650 project

Working on my 550/650 project. I want to put on new rear shocks but I am on a budget. Anyone have these or have an opinion on these shocks?

or these?

Again.... I am on a budget! I'm not looking for major asphalt eating, curve cutting, GP racing shocks. Just something different that would do the job. Did I mention...I am on a budget.

Thanks
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

The 1st pair with the gas reservoir sure look good, the second set looks cheezy.
    I might get the 1st set for myself, the black and gold matches my paint.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The 2nd set are the infamous MDI/EMGO cheapos. They're overdamped on a 1000G. On your project they would probably feel like rigid struts. Also, the plastic bushing spacers wear out in almost nothing flat. You cannot save money buying these, as the purchase price will be entirely wasted. You will be wanting something else almost immediately.

The 1st set do look much nicer, but there is no way of knowing whether the springs or damping are anything like appropriate.

The simplest, cheapest shocks known to be worth having are something like Hagons at around $200 new, maybe the cheapest Progressive shocks. If used Hagons or Progressives are available on eBay, I'd take my chances with that over the cheap piggybacks in the 1st link. Beware though, shocks may be damaged in a crash in non-obvious ways that lead to a 2nd crash. Ask Batfaam. Hmmm. Haven't seen him on in a while.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

One thing that I've learned over the course of my 40+ years of riding is not to skimp on suspension (too much). That being said, I do not have top brand name suspension on any of my bikes except for my FZ-09 which had very few options when it first came out, and had horrible stock suspension. But that's a whole 'nother story. For my '77 GS550, I went with Progressive shocks and am quite happy with them. They damp well enough, and the spring rates are correct for the bike. I also installed them on my '76 XS650, and have been happy with them on that too. The first ones that you listed would make me nervous. Note that they list them as front shocks. Doesn't lend an air of confidence.... I would rather break my budget for a known commodity than take a chance on something that I may be unhappy with and will have to replace later. One guess as to why that is...
        Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I looked at those ebay shocks as the price was great, but decided against it.
          I replaced the shock units on my 82 GS750E with Hagon Shocks that I purchased Dave Quinn Motorcycles.
          I called and spoke to Dave, he shipped me a set of Black Body Type A Shocks matched to my weight and riding style.
          I have a little over 200 miles on them since completing my bike's restoration and they feel very good.
          I see long trips on my Suzie come warmer weather.

Rick

1982 Suzuki GS750E
          1979 Suzuki GS750E
          1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
          1977 HD CR1000
          1977 Kawasaki KZ400
          1974 Honda CB750

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

In the past, I have always kept to the OEM parts mantra, yet I have never had to replace rear shocks before. However, with this project, I am past the "stick to OEM" mentality. I want to replace the rear shocks as the current ones are pretty rusty and obviously old. I will reconsider my options and wait and see what may come around. I'm not in a real hurry to replace them since the project is still in the "put all back together" stage, but I wanted an idea of which direction I should go in my search.

Thanks for the help. This site has great members!!
            sigpic

Comment

The RFY shocks in the first link are basically fairly well designed shock let down by shoddy oil and other quality issues. Chris Livengood http://chrislivengood.net/wp/ can make them good for about the price of a set of Hagons.Not bad for a set of rebuildable aluminum body shocks,try rebuilding a set of Hagons.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2016, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                The RFY shocks in the first link are basically fairly well designed shock let down by shoddy oil and other quality issues. Chris Evengood http://chrislivengood.net/wp/ can make them good for about the price of a set of Hagons.Not bad for a set of rebuildable aluminum body shocks,try rebuilding a set of Hagons.
                I agree. That Chris guy seems to know his stuff.

When researching those shocks I was concern with the spring rates. The stock springs are very stiff. There is a softer set available but they seem a lot softer than those other ones. Something in the middle would be nice. At any rate, ping that Chris guy if you have questions. He's quite approachable.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah I'm a bit concerned about the spring rates but would still like a set of his GS1100 package for my 78 1000.Going to need shocks for the GPz to,really want a set of the new black on black RFY's for that.If he doesn't "stock" them I'm going to see if he can get them for me.If that fails I'll just get them and send them to him.A +1 on the approachable,sent a silly question to him when his system was down it took him a while to but he did get back to me when he retrieved it.

Comment

Ok, guys. Thanks for the info on Chris Livengood. I will contact him and see what he can do for me. As always, this site is amazing!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X