No announcement yet.

Rims for GS400....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i have another question - and I hope this isn't too dumb, but can I fit Suzuki GT550 wheels on the GS400....I can get a set with drums in the rear, the front has the disc, but I can maybe pull the GS400 disc off the GS400 rims and put'em on the GT550 (although the front wheel is a 19 inch)? Just a thought....any ideas? I'm in Canada so shipping new rims here is stretching the budget a bit....

edit: All Balls Racing Wheel bearing kits are the same for the GT and the GS......I suppose width of the forks for the bolt is the issue, or i could swap.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2016, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dyslexic View Post
      So i have another question - and I hope this isn't too dumb, but can I fit Suzuki GT550 wheels on the GS400....I can get a set with drums in the rear, the front has the disc, but I can maybe pull the GS400 disc off the GS400 rims and put'em on the GT550 (although the front wheel is a 19 inch)? Just a thought....any ideas? I'm in Canada so shipping new rims here is stretching the budget a bit....

edit: All Balls Racing Wheel bearing kits are the same for the GT and the GS......I suppose width of the forks for the bolt is the issue, or i could swap.
      As far as I know there was no difference to be worried about. That said, I haven't done it, but a friend of mine just picked up a GT550 and wants me to have a look at it.

The only problem is that you'll need a 19" front fender - assuming you're into front fenders ;-). The brake discs all use the same bolt hole pattern, from what I've seem. The '77 style brakes with the round pads were pretty feeble as I recall, but the newer style calliper and disc bolt on and work considerably better, plus pads are easier to source.

A 3.00 19 is about 650mm diameter. I'm running a 3.50 18 front and it's also about 650mm and it's the best handling I've had. I think they should have either specced a 3.50 18 and 1.85 rim or just used a 19" and a 3.00 which they already had on the shelf. A 90/90 19 would be a really nice way to go on a 400…
      '82 GS450T

Comment

I just went through this with a GT250 cafe project.

Stock rims are the same as your GS400: 1.6-18 F & 1.85-18 R
        Am upgrading to: 1.85-18 F & 2.15-18 R
        Tires will be Avon RoadRider 90/90-18 F & 110/80-18 R

I got a nice used GS450GA front wheel.
        It has the same hub & spokes as the GT250, but has a 1.85-18 rim

The T500 & larger two strokes have a 2.15-18 rear rim + drum brake.
        I had a spare T500 rear wheel that I’m using.

Also am going to powdercoat the rim + use NOS spokes to spiff up the wheels for the cafe build.

For your GS400…
        The GS400 & all of the GT-series two strokes have front disk / rear drum brakes.
        To get the correct spoke angles you need to select rims designed for use with a hub or drum.

The GS450GA front rim is NLA, but is available used.
        An new alternative is a TU250 front rim.

GT-series rear rims are available NOS & used.
        The TU250 rear rim is available but its larger (MT2.5-18).

The TU250 is a current model, so you can take a look at the rims on the bike at your local Suzuki dealer.

Comment

Suzuki used the same front hub on the GS400 & all of the GT-series two strokes. So you can mount any of those wheels as along as the tire fits. Just use your brake disc.
          (Check the part numbers to make sure.)

Suzuki upgraded the GT550 rear drum brake for the later model years. The GT750 drum is larger for all years.
          You may be able to use the GT550 wheel with your GS400 brake panel.
          Check the part numbers for the wheel you are looking at to make sure.

Comment

thanks guys...this really helps alot!

Comment

so I bought the GT550 rear wheelset (2.15 x 18) - did the swap and it works 100%; fits like a glove. Next is to disassmble the old rear and use the 1.85 rim on the front......hope it works....should be a fun excercise none-the-less.

Comment

You likely will have problems with the spoke angle, which will cause the spokes to be slightly bent.

For about $100 you can get a new 1.85-18 rim for a front wheel with disk brake that will not have the spoke angle problem.

Comment

hmmmm....I was wondering about that.....I am trying to do more research on this too.....may get another built rim from a gt550 and go 19 inch on the front rather than 18....thanks for the link aswell, another option foresure!

Comment

picked up a front GT550 19 inch rim today for $75....going to pull it apart and clean it up....easier than a re-string

Comment

picked up a front GT550 19 inch rim today for $75....going to pull it apart and clean it up....easier than a re-string

IMG-20160429-WA0000.jpg
                      fits right up....front and back....2.15x18 rear rim and 1.85x19 front....off a GT550....thanks guys...just needs new rubber.

Comment

Working...
                      X