tire balancing question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire balancing question...

I've never seen this question asked before and it may be silly or obvious but.... I'm having new tires put on the project bike. Right now I have the wheels off the bike so I could do some cleaning on them. I have the brake rotor off the front rim and the sprocket off of the rear tire. My question is this... do I need to have the rotor and sprocket back on the rims when I have the new tires put on and have them balanced? Does having the rotor and sprocket off the rims at the time I have them balanced affect the balancing process?

Might be a stupid question but, in the past, I've always had the rotors and sprockets on when I've had new tires installed.
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Originally posted by Super View Post
    I' Does having the rotor and sprocket off the rims at the time I have them balanced affect the balancing process?
    Yes. By how much, probably not a lot. Bike rotors are light-ish compared to cars which when new you'll often see balance nicks machined out of the disk.
    Best practice to have the lot on the rims for balancing but I would be surprised to see the disks and sprocket throw the balance out unless you are headed to salt flats
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

As a very experienced professional motorcycle tyre fitter for over 20 yrs never did we balance Sprockets and there carriers. Discs where always on the wheel but i cant see how they would effect bike handling. As for speed V Balance have a look at the MotoGp guys. There wheels are balanced bare and statically so if the Ducati can do 217 mph every lap and have no issue i cant see a GSX with top speed of 130 having problems. And i dont care who chimes in about balancing beads, thats just there opinion just like this is mine. Static balance, no beads and what ever parts are fitted at the time will be fine. If we had issues with customers coming back saying it was wobbling and it didnt do it before the new tyres there was ALWAYS something else on there bike like steering head bearings (90%) or something else wrong. FYI, it also recommended to change the tubes every 2 tyre changes as they do wear but that is being a little anal. Just a good inspection and comman sense be fine. Also lately ive been helping out at a motorcycle wheel rebuilding business and we balance wheels same as i always have done. Discs/no discs, steel/alloy rims, skinny/fat rims, 16-23in rims all dont matter. For those who say there is too much balance weight on the wheel and they have the dot on the tyre at the valve it is common knowledge that that dot goes at the heaviest part of the wheel, so who says its at the valve. Check the bare wheel for the heaviest area and mount the dot there. So move the tyre to suit and maybe trying flipping the tube over to make the wheel use less weight. And dont even think about using GS/GSX wheels or any wheels as tubeless unless the wheel has it stamped/cast as a tubeless wheel. That is just asking for trouble and one more thing that can go wrong on a vehicle that hugely fun but still can be deadly. FYI. All of this is just my opinion from a very long experienced life with bikes. If you dont agree, just do as you wish with your own bike.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

In my experience, any imbalance in cast motorcycle wheels comes from inconsistencies in the casting. And vintage motorcycle wheels are more likely to have greater imbalances than modern wheels, which makes sense -- modern manufacturing is more consistent. (Spoke wheels can have inconsistencies as well, of course, but assuming the wheel is reasonably round and straight, the tube is generally the "most inconsistent" part of the system -- rubber is not a precise material, and tubes usually have the heavy spots at the valve stem.)

Anyway, brake rotors and sprockets are made far more precisely and in a very different way than wheels, so they should have little to no imbalance. Sprocket carriers are cast, but are relatively lightweight and close to the center, so would have little effect on balance when assembled.

In other words, don't worry about it.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks from both of you guys! I especially like it when people with LOTS of experience chime in, as both of you have. I probably would have never wondered about balancing the wheels without the rotor and sprocket on until now. Thanks again.
          sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
          1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
          1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
          1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
          1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
          1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
          1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
          1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

I have swapped rotors on motorcycle wheels dozens of times, never felt any change or misbalances in the wheels after.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X