off road "intended slide"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

off road "intended slide"

Any off roaders here that can answer this qustion?

What purpose does intentionally locking up the rear wheel serve?

From the current issue of Cycle World, referring to the Triumph Tiger:

"...applying the rear brake only activates that brake and will allow you to lock it up for an intended slide."
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

It let's you get the bike turned into a corner sooner or quicker and pointed in the right direction so you can gas it. Also works real good with a mountain bike on a nice downhill single track.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
      It let's you get the bike turned into a corner sooner or quicker and pointed in the right direction so you can gas it.
      Sort of like flat track?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Some riders call it squaring a corner, watch some super cross or motocross races
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Sort of like flat track?
          no not in flat tracking , most flat track bikes have very little if any brakes. They are actually using the motor to get them to slide or as some call it "drifting"
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

watch the moto 2 or moto GP boys, "backing it in".......
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I'm a 'retired' enduro racer from the NJ woods. The brake slide is used to quickly negotiate a 90 degree turn between 2 trees. Because of the tree on the inside of the turn, you can't lean the bike, so would have to go very slowly to turn normally. But you can come up to the tree, clutch it, lock the rear brake, flick the bars left, and the rear end slides right around. Clutch out and gas it. Quickest way around such a turn by far.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                watch the moto 2 or moto GP boys, "backing it in".......

Sam Lowes in Moto2 is the master at this.

He doesn't use the back brake but instead drops it down 2 gears and dumps the clutch to lock the back wheel. Don't think I'll be trying that any time soon.
                The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

drops it down 2 gears and dumps the clutch to lock the back wheel. Don't think I'll be trying that any time soon.
                  Happened to me multiple times when shifting down too eagerly; though only then driving straight or at the beginning of a turn. Annoying surprise; and one should have a properly calibrated butt-meter.
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                  X