GS850 Wheel Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Wheel Swap

I would like to swap out the 17" wheel on the back of my GS850 for a 18" wheel....being it is a shaft drive and a mag I know that my options are limited, anyone know something that will work....

also i would like to do a 18" wheel swap for the front and keep the dual disc brakes any help here would be appreciated...

Never heard of any interest in an 18" swap before, for the front or the rear.

What's the incentive?

EDIT: Had a look at your intro post, saw that you mentioned you were about to get an 850L. In this post, you mentioned 850G.
    Which one do you have? The L has a 16" rear wheel, the G has a 17" wheel.

In the long run it probably doesn't matter, not sure you will find an 18 that fits.
    Last edited by Who Dat?; 04-15-2016, 01:39 PM.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

First, figure out what you actually have (G or GL) and what size rear wheel it has (16" or 17"). All 850 G/GL models had 19" front wheels. There are a few detail differences by year.

If you have a GL with a 16" rear wheel (some early GLs had 17" rear wheels), you can swap in a 17" rear from a G model fairly easily, although you may need to do some finagling with washers to get the brake disk to line up correctly.

There is no 18" rear wheel compatible with the G/GL shaft drive. I can't even begin to imagine why on earth you want 18" wheels, so you may want to clarify that at some point.
      Last edited by bwringer; 04-17-2016, 05:05 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
      X