Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80' GS450 Wheel compatible with 81' GS650E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80' GS450 Wheel compatible with 81' GS650E?

Recently bought a 81' GS650E that has a solid dent in the rear rim. The previous owner had bought a 80' GS450 rear rim as a replacement but never mounted it. Stock rim is 2.15x18. Size stated on the GS450 rim is 1.85x18. Besides the fact it's narrower than the front, would it mount correctly with my 81'? Am I better off finding a used rim of the correct size?

I'm no expert but that different sized rim and tire will alter handling, may not be safe.

sean

Comment

That narrower rim will severly limit the size of the tire you can safely put on it. Keep looking for a proper-sized rim.

Comment

I'd imagine the twin 450 would have a narrower chain line than a 4 cyl bike so you'd probably also have issues lining up the sprockets.

That's assuming you meant you want to change the whole wheel, and not just the rim.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks for the all input confirming my thoughts that the previous owner was an idiot for buying that wheel. Bought a replacement off an identical bike for cheap.

Comment

Working...
          X