Metric tires size chart confusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metric tires size chart confusion?

I recently purchased a 1979 gs850! Reading through some of the threads and BassCliffs tips, I've got my work cut out for me! First I'm treating it to new skins, and working on other tips later. Front tire is 3.5x H19 . Best I could figure for conversation is 100/90-19. Rear tire is 4.5x H17 that I figured at 120/90-17. Not sure if it is correct figuring. I just don't want to waste time and money and get the wrong parts. Nor do I want tire rubbing because of incorrect sizing. Looked through some old threads and the search, couldn't nail anything down. The help is greatly appreciated 👍🏻

Standard tire sizes on the forum for the big G models are a 100/90-19 up front and a 130/90-17 in the back. I have that setup on my 1000g and am quite happy with it.

Favorite tires around here are (in no particular order):

Avon Roadrider
    Michelin Pilot Activ
    Pirelli Sport Demon
    Shinko 230
    Bridgeston BT-45
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I am running Shinko 712's on my 850G and am quite pleased with them. Sized as Griffin suggested. Dunlop 404's on her 750L and again they are great riding tires.

Comment

Thank you for the help! Picked this bike up for $500 bucks, odometer says 4000 on it. Bike looks to have all original equipment. Want to sink a few dollars into it and have a classic. I'll try to post some good pics as soon as I figure out this site better. Again Thanx!

p.s.- Are these tires ran tubed or tubeless?
        Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2016, 06:49 PM.

Comment

If she hasn't been run in a while be kind to her and read the GSR Welcome by Bikecliff.

I would definitely check the valves and the charging system before putting any miles on her. Those are two things that can bite you in fairly short order if you ride with them out of order. Valve checks will set you back 30-something for a ne wvalve cover gasket if yours tears and the cost of a few shims if you need any. Not doing it can burn out valves as they tend to tighten up over time on these bikes. If the charging system is good there's no cost but if the Regulator/Rectifier is bad it will burn out your stator and double the price of the repair if done before you start running it.

Welcome to the GSR family. I'm still new but have found no shortage of help, it's a great community.

Comment

Cool, did read that. Just starting with tires. All suggestions are not ignored here. Love the support. Thanx

Comment

This parts fishe will answer questions like the one you have about tubes...http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm

Their parts are expensive though. Parts Outlaw is the cheapest source I've found but they are not the fastest.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanx everyone. Was able to make good decisions with all the help! 👍

Comment

Michelin Commander II's are a good choice for tires as well.
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                    Michelin Commander II's are a good choice for tires as well.
                    Yep, they're fantastic shoes but Ma Michelin has so far neglected to make them in 130/90-17. Looks like you "GL" boys get to have all the fun, since you have 16" rear wheels.

Michelin's Pilot Activ is available in 130/90-17. I'm sure it's a fantastic tire, but it's mighty expensive. Never seen one in this frugal crowd.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                    X