Dual banjo vs distribution block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual banjo vs distribution block

What is everyone opinion on the various ways to achieve a dual caliper setup. I ask because I am doing the salty monk conversion on a 78 GS 750. As part of this I am converting the bike itself (fork outers) from single to dual caliper. I would like to know everyone's thoughts on the following:

• Single line from master to distribution block, two independent lines from block to each caliper
      • This is the OEM preferred setup I believe on most bikes (though I think I read somewhere about Ducati's and Aprilla's in some flavors coming with dual banjo setups from the factory)
      • 6 connection points, 6 connections

• Two independent lines using dual banjo at master cylinder direct to each caliper
      • Makes the bars look busy/cluttered? Maybe stiff steering or something?
      • 3 connection points, 4 connections

• Single line from master cylinder to RH caliper connected with dual banjo, single line from dual banjo of RH caliper up over fender to LH caliper
      • How to route the line up over the fender without looking funny?
      • 3 connection points, 4 connections

In theory they should each use roughly the same amount of line except maybe the dual banjo at the master cylinder which I can see taking more. Given that in each instance the hydraulic circuit is single point of failure I am not sure if one method is more or less failure prone than another but that is something that concerns me.

Thoughts?
    Dual banjo at master cylinder
    38.10%
    Dual banjo at brake caliper
    14.29%
    Distribution block between calipers
    47.62%

The two lines straight from the master is easier to bleed. Other than that I don't think there really is anything in it one way or the other.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I just put new lines on last week. Master cylinder to right caliper, then from right to left. I measured and priced out each way, that was cheapest. No issues at all bleeding them.
      78GS 750E

Comment

I never liked the block on triple clamp mainly because it's only held on by a single bolt, if it gets loose the moving around might make the banjo bolts loosen and leak.
        Never had one fail, it just looks poorly designed, and I can't imagine with a few million bikes sold there haven't been a few fall off.

I prefer two lines from the master down, but I really prefer having a single brake if I can get the one finger stopping power I like.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Two lines from master for me every time.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I never liked the block on triple clamp mainly because it's only held on by a single bolt, if it gets loose the moving around might make the banjo bolts loosen and leak.
            Never had one fail, it just looks poorly designed, and I can't imagine with a few million bikes sold there haven't been a few fall off.

I prefer two lines from the master down, but I really prefer having a single brake if I can get the one finger stopping power I like.
            I'll have to go look now but I'm pretty sure the splitter on my 85 750 has 2 bolts,I checked it does.Thought the 78 1000 one had 2 bolts as well but I only see one.I have the singe line from the MC then 2 lines with double banjo on the splitter on the 85 750 and lines with a double banjo at the MC on my 1000.If I was doing it again it would be the same as the 750.

Comment

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference functionally.

Two lines from the master is slightly cheaper, since you're making two lines instead of three, so that's usually what I do unless there are clearance issues on the handlebars.

Many folks prefer a more "stock" look, so they use the stock distribution block.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You are right bwringer it makes absolutely no difference functionally so it comes down to aesthetics.I'm not fond of the way the 2 lines look at the end of my 1000's MC.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                  You are right bwringer it makes absolutely no difference functionally so it comes down to aesthetics.I'm not fond of the way the 2 lines look at the end of my 1000's MC.
                  Yup, you're gonna spend a lot of time looking at it. If it's gonna bug you every time you see it, then use a single line from the MC to the distribution block.
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                    The two lines straight from the master is easier to bleed...
                    Mark
                    Yes, and this reeeallly matters. SS lines are nice, but a good bleed job matters more. A setup that makes that easy is the way to go.
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                      Yes, and this reeeallly matters. SS lines are nice, but a good bleed job matters more. A setup that makes that easy is the way to go.
                      +1, all my bikes use the two lines from the master cylinder set up.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Yup, you're gonna spend a lot of time looking at it. If it's gonna bug you every time you see it, then use a single line from the MC to the distribution block.
                        It's done now and yes it bugs me a bit.I'd rather not spend the $$ at it to fix it either so it will be there to remind me to do 1 line from the MC to a block in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                          It's done now and yes it bugs me a bit.I'd rather not spend the $$ at it to fix it either so it will be there to remind me to do 1 line from the MC to a block in the future.
                          Don't look at it too much, you might run into something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If my priority was performance/reliability, I'd go with 2 lines of the M/C. For my bike, I choose 1 line from the M/C to a distribution block with equal lengths of hose to the calipers - equal lengths for equal pressure (I can't argue whether or not there's enough of a difference to matter) and symmetry and aesthetics for my OCD.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                              If my priority was performance/reliability, I'd go with 2 lines of the M/C. For my bike, I choose 1 line from the M/C to a distribution block with equal lengths of hose to the calipers - equal lengths for equal pressure (I can't argue whether or not there's enough of a difference to matter) and symmetry and aesthetics for my OCD.
                              On the scale of brake line lengths and volumes, the length of the hose makes absolutely no difference in pressure (if you had, say, a 50 foot piece of brake line on one side, then you'd probably feel some mushiness from line flex, but there would still be no pressure differences in the system). Basic hydraulics.
                              Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                              X