Tire Suggestions for 83 GS1100GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Suggestions for 83 GS1100GL

Hey all. So I've started compiling a shopping list for my bike project and am just wondering if anyone has any general suggestions on brand or anything as far as tires go.

The bike currently has 110/90-19 front and 130/90-16 rear which appears to be stock as far as my research has determined. I have no interest in changing that unless it would be a major benefit for some reason I haven't considered. My priorities on them are; 1-safety, 2-cost, 3- longer life, 4- extra performance.

I have also just assumed that tires which have been sitting on the bike for at least 10 years must be dry rotted or otherwise unsafe but the tread does look like it's in great condition. Is there even the slightest chance these tires aren't garbage? It has been kept outdoors for those 10 years. In the shade but also the rainy though mild pacific northwest.

The only advice I've found on here that gave me any real direction is to stay away from Kenda which I will happily follow

To be slightly more specific, I'm leaning towards the Dunlop D404. However, if the Bridgestone Spitfire S11 is dramatically better, they're not all that much more expensive. I am also both intruiged and a bit concernes by the price of Shinko SR712's. Are Shinko tires any good or just another unsafe bargain tire? Thanks as always all

Comment

Many, including me, run Shinko 203's. Not sure they are available in 16", but if they are you will love them. Not particularly long lasting, maybe 5k on the rear. VERY inexpensive.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
        Many, including me, run Shinko 203's. Not sure they are available in 16", but if they are you will love them. Not particularly long lasting, maybe 5k on the rear. VERY inexpensive.
        Certainly the 230 (I think you meant the Shinko tourmaster 230) is a good gripping and solid handling tire. I have been through a couple sets.
        They definately wear fast. I am not a canyon carver but I'm also not a straight line touring rider either. That being said in my experience they wear horribly flat and square. I've been through 4 Rears to 2 fronts as is normal. The fronts have worn in the normal fashion but the rears wear squarely as time goes on making the transition from vertical to leaning in a curve abrupt. They just don't maintain a great roll to them.
        I have also had one front develop stress cracks in the sidewall at 3 seasons old.
        Still a worthwhile buy on a budget but I am moving on from the 230 tire. Just too short of a life.

Comment

I had Continental (Attack?) sport/touring tires on a sport/touring bike and absolutely hated the handling characteristics. They had a bit of a compound radius to the shape of the tire, which might be great for tight twisty roads, but I thought sucked for most situations with more gradual turns. I hated the way the bike handled afterward, so I guess my suggestion is to not do anything 'different' with tire shape/brand.

Comment

The correct tire sizes are 100/90-19 front, 130/90-16 rear.

I have no idea why so many people allowed incompetent shoppes to slap a 110 on the front of their GS, but it really does goof up the handling. The only GS that takes a 110/90-19 front is the 83-84 GS1100GK, which uses different, wider forks.

And yes, you need to replace those ancient tires, no matter how good they look.

Current best overall is widely considered to be the Avon RoadRider -- good life, excellent grip and handling, and they remain well-mannered as they wear. One "trick" you have to remember if you're ordering online is that the 100/90-19 front is a reversible design that can be used on the front or rear, so it's often grouped with the rear tires. If you ride a lot, you can't beat the cost per mile of the Avons, since you can run two rears for every front.

Michelin's Commander II is also garnering rave reviews amongst those with 16" rears, but they're a little expensive. The Pirelli Sport Demons are also excellent, but short-lived and expensive.

I would definitely avoid the Dunlop 404 and Bridgestone S11 Spitfire -- both are much older designs, short-lived, and turn very nasty as they wear. Bridgestone's BT-45 Battlax is pretty decent.

If you're on a budget, the Shinko 230 or 712 offer excellent performance for the money, although not the longest life (the 777 is also available in your sizes). (And before it comes up, Shinko tires are made in South Korea, not China.)
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X