Shock mount washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock mount washers

On my Tracy bodied GS1100 project bike I have to fabricate some upper shock mounts and I see that there are several washers that get installed on each side of the shock according to the parts fiche.

Are these washers there for any purpose other than to accommodate parts bin engineering?

I would like to find out so that I can build the shock mount to fit and look the best
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

My bike is missing the frame lift handle. I pack the shocks out to stop the nut bottoming out, keep them straight and protect the rubber bushes from rubbing on stuff.
    The parts fiche for me is a baseline as I never had original shocks.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I can't imagine those washers serve any purpose but spacing the shock to prevent rubbing/interference on the frame.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I agree that they are mostly for alignment of the shocks. It would have been easier to just make a spacer that was 6-8mm thick, but having individual washers makes it easier to add a luggage rack or other accessory.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Perhaps it is to reduce stiction.
          Metal on metal washers allow for a slipping between parts.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            Perhaps it is to reduce stiction.
            Metal on metal washers allow for a slipping between parts.
            Probably quite true, but with those particular parts, ... NOTHING MOVES.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

as I see it, You probably want the shocks STRAIGHT inline with the swingarm...that is : the swing arms' attachment has two washers one each side of shock (if it's a chain drive bike), so attach the shock to swingarm- wherever these line up to frame mounts indicates how you would applythe combination of washers, handles,and racks there. The rubber will no doubt take up some of the misalignment but still...
              also, consult the manual for torque value of the nuts.
              beyond that, just something to think about, consider the radius of the swing arms "arc of travel" in normal use...if the distances vary a lot, your shocks will have to move somehow on their pivots to accommodate to the shortest distance to top and bottom of the arc's swing...

Comment

Standard shocks do pivot if only slightly. They make retrofit kits with needle bearings to replace bushings. Do the washers not seat against the rubber busing on the shocks?
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I made my own up for the GS85, out of aluminium. Mainly because the old zinc plated ones looked crappy, amd I had the same problem with alignment. Took an hour or so on the lathe, and the new nut sits recessed into the washer.

Comment

Ok, thanks everyone. I never considered the option to mount grab handles/luggage. I took a look and my Öhlins come with aluminum washers so I will just remake the mounts using the stock dimensions.
                    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Working...
                    X