Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace 1985 GS 550L front wheel/forks with earlier versions

Hello Everyone,

First post and hopefully not one that's been discussed before. (I used the search function and got about 10 pages in before i gave up finding it.)

So here's the deal. There is a very low mileage(less than 2k) 1985 GS550L locally for a fair price. However, I dislike the smaller wheel size in the front for purely aesthetic reasons. Is it possible to swap forks and front wheel with an earlier model GS550, or just the wheel? I understand if I just replace the wheel I'd have to modify the fender mounting. Anything else I'd want to look out for or is it impossible? Is it not advisable for safety/performance reasons?

Thanks in advance for any advice and mods feel free to delete this thread if it's already been covered.

Look on ebay. It seems that they had 18 inchers for a few years. Hell may have even had 16s and 18s in the same year.
    Ypu can look for forks and see some are clearly longer side by side.

Got me a caliper and hose once off the longer forked bike its had a 2-3 inch extension to lengthen the hose.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

My apologies it went to a 19 inch in 86
      the legs as well as the forks are different part numbers
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

hit up this seller

pretty sure that the listing is for the big wheeled bike
          he may have all the parts you need
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the help! Looks like that would be the route to go. Still in research mode, but if I buy the bike, I'll hit that guy up.

Comment

I don't know about delivery from Iowa to you, but I have a complete 1983 550L front end, 19 inch wheel, with 4279 miles on it.. Bike was parted for title hassles (and somebody gave me a ridiculous price for the engine). I don't need it. It was cut off at the head stock, trees & bearings still intact.

Comment

Now that is perfect timing. Though I imagine the big wheel is stable I cannot imagine forgoing the snappy steering of the 16.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                  I don't know about delivery from Iowa to you, but I have a complete 1983 550L front end, 19 inch wheel, with 4279 miles on it.. Bike was parted for title hassles (and somebody gave me a ridiculous price for the engine). I don't need it. It was cut off at the head stock, trees & bearings still intact.
                  e are you sure its an 83? Not that it makes a difference. I see a lot of the bikes parts and it did always seem to me that they may have been mixing it up through all years of the production run. Fiche insists on only 86 with the big wheel.
                  Fiche also insists bike did not exist in 84 so some records may have been lost to history during the rush to digitize.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I am in error. The manufacturing date says 9/81, so probably an 82 model. Still has the 19 inch front wheel, and is from an L.

Comment

37 mm tubes?
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

No, they are 35mm. Why would they be 37?

Comment

because his bike takes a 37 mm tube?
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I haven't found any relevant specs anywhere, but I'm surprised that they might have put 37mm forks on a 550L in any year.

Comment

well they did 83-86
                              Surprise!
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X