Gixxer cork race removal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gixxer cork race removal help

Can someone tell me the easiest way to remove a fork bearing race from a gixxer fork? I'm doing a front end swap on my 79 750 restomod, I've got the allballs conversion kit, but I'm not sure how to remove this race without damaging the lower clamp1470246347898-1068253694.jpg

Eaiest wat is with a press.

Remove the lower triple and press the stem out the bottom of the triple. Race will pop off as well.

Then it's just pressing the stem back in, and using a sleeve over the stem to press the bearing in place.

I've had my local shop replace the lower bearings for a couple conversions.

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

The way many of these are done is to use a Dremel tool to cut a vertical slot in the bearing race. Be careful not to go all the way through at any point. Once you have a nice slot in the race, stick a cold chisel in the slot and give it a whack. The race will crack (the hardened steel is somewhat brittle), then you can gently tap it free.

With some bikes, the shop manual specifies that you should not press the stem off and on, so take a look and make sure before doing this.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I left the bottom triple in a freezer overnight then carefully ( big hammer and small chisel as wedge ��) raised it half an inch up the stem , out came the cutting disk and I cut through 90% of the seat, using precision hammer and chisel again I then broke off the seat ........ Important ....... Keep the old seat as its a great tool to drive the new bearing on ( once de-burred)
        78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
        82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
        83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
        2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
        Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Working...
        X