Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct orientation of metal disc in front brake master cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct orientation of metal disc in front brake master cylinder?

I am getting a GS650G baby Katana ready for the road again after standing for a long time, and replacing all the rubber parts in the front and rear brakes.

When I took the front master cylinder apart, I did not take proper note of the orientation of the shiny metal disc that is located between the piston and primary cup/spring.

That shiny copper-coloured metal disc (not sure of proper name?) is not flat, but has a "hollow" side and a "rounded" side.

What is the correct orientation of this disc: with the "hollow" side against the piston, or with the "hollow" side against the rubber primary cup on the spring? Not sure if it will make a difference, but I would like to get the orientation correct. Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

usually there will be some light witness marks on the piston side of the disc if you really want to know what side was what.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      usually there will be some light witness marks on the piston side of the disc if you really want to know what side was what.
      After inspecting the disc with a magnifying glass, I did find some marks indicating that the hollow side was against the rubber primary cup. The disc in the new OEM piston kit also had a "hollow" side (looking like a half moon), so I installed it like that again.

Thanks guys!
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
      X