No announcement yet.

converting to tubeless - valve stem hole question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread has been helpful for me. I brought my wheel to a 'motorcycle shop' to get a new valve stem, and the guy said my wheel had an odd-sized hole (smaller than he expected) and therefore he didn't have the right valve stem. It sounds like he had the 'car' sized stems which are also used on newer bikes. This, along with the hack job performed on my steering stem, proves to me this guy should not be in business (or at least never get my business).

So will any 'motorcycle' valve stem work? I want to get an angled one for my rear wheel.

Comment

Yes - the motorcycle valves shown here should work. ( I hesitate to say 'any' since I am not aware of all)

BTW, my valve install and mounting went well. for the concave F wheel I pictured above, the countersinking worked well. Also on that same bike the rear had a flat center section so I could have gone with the flat washer motorcycle valve if I had it, since I had the one with the center rubber part, I make a small diameter countersink to accommodate the small rubber part and let the large rubber washer part rest on the flat of the rim.
      1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
      1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
      1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Working...
      X