Front end shake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end shake

Hey everyone, while I've got my bike ripped apart, I figure I might as well ask this question- between 35-50mph, I get a nasty shake in the front forks. It's like the forks aren't damping, and the bike is hitting a resonant point. Doesn't quite shake my teeth out, but it's really bothersome. Where should I start my investigation? Change the fork oil first?

Check your tire for a slipped/broken belt. Make sure it's properly balanced...

Comment

^^^ that ^^^ and everything else too! bearings on swing arm (and, I think you really have to disconnect the shocks to give it a GOOD shake)... triple tree and the fenders fork brace if this has one-is it bolted on per OEM? and sure fork oil levels ... I don't think I could ever get used to it and call it just "Bothersome" !
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-22-2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StratJeff View Post
        .......... it's really bothersome........
        ..... and REALLY dangerous. Check everything.

Comment

I don't think it's dangerous yet. As soon as I squeeze the brake or change speed, it disappears completely, and is stable as a rock above/below those speeds. I don't think it's the tire- it's fairly new Avon. I'll start digging.

Comment

I don't think it's dangerous yet. As soon as I squeeze the brake or change speed, it disappears completely, and is stable as a rock above/below those speeds. I don't think it's the tire- it's fairly new Avon. I'll start digging.
            I have had Avons that wouldn't balance out with out a ton of weights
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Sounds like you may have overtorqued the steering head. New tire or not, check to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                Sounds like you may have overtorqued the steering head. New tire or not, check to be sure.
                I recently rebuilt my front end and used the least amount of torque on the steering stem as possible to achieve no zero play, per the Suzuki manual (torque to specified value, loosen 1/4 turn, tighten to eliminate play). I also get the 'resonant frequency' bounce in the front end, and now that I'm reading about it, I think it's in the same speed range as the OP. I notice it mostly on straightaways at constant speed, but believe I've experienced it through a turn also.

I was told too little torque would lead to the 35+mph steering 'wobble' - I get that too.

FWIW, I have 1.0kg Sonic Springs and 15wt fork oil - filled per Suzuki manual volume (which does not coincide w/ Sonic's volume recommendation - been meaning to fix that, but others have done the same with no reported issue). I just had my front end apart and used a little *more torque. I won't know the effect until I ride it tomorrow.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                  I recently rebuilt my front end and used the least amount of torque on the steering stem as possible to achieve no zero play, per the Suzuki manual (torque to specified value, loosen 1/4 turn, tighten to eliminate play). I also get the 'resonant frequency' bounce in the front end, and now that I'm reading about it, I think it's in the same speed range as the OP. I notice it mostly on straightaways at constant speed, but believe I've experienced it through a turn also.

I was told too little torque would lead to the 35+mph steering 'wobble' - I get that too.

FWIW, I have 1.0kg Sonic Springs and 15wt fork oil - filled per Suzuki manual volume (which does not coincide w/ Sonic's volume recommendation - been meaning to fix that, but others have done the same with no reported issue). I just had my front end apart and used a little *more torque. I won't know the effect until I ride it tomorrow.
                  Any change?

Comment

Which direction are these motions? Vertical suggests a tire, balance or damping issue. Side to side suggests steering bearings are a little loose.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                    X