• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main differences include:

Brakes and master cylinder
    18" rear wheel size
    Alloy rims with spokes and alloy hubs in lieu of the cast wheels
    Standard incandescent headlight in lieu of H4 Halogen of the E
    As I recall, non self cancelling turn signals, which the E had.
    No hump in the seat.
    Points instead of electronic ignition, as I recall, but I'm not certain about this one.

It was a bit lighter than the E because of the the rims and brakes. All of the magazine road test performance data was performed using the standard (non-E) bike. It had potential to be a bit quicker in acceleration because it was a bit lighter, especially in rotating mass. That is why it was used in the road test performance tests.

I have a 1978 E, but I'm not certain if my electronic ignition is stock or aftermarket. I just don't remember.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Another GS saved by having a huge fairing up front.
      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        Main differences include:

Brakes and master cylinder
        18" rear wheel size
        Alloy rims with spokes and alloy hubs in lieu of the cast wheels
        Standard incandescent headlight in lieu of H4 Halogen of the E
        As I recall, non self cancelling turn signals, which the E had.
        No hump in the seat.
        Points instead of electronic ignition, as I recall, but I'm not certain about this one.

It was a bit lighter than the E because of the the rims and brakes. All of the magazine road test performance data was performed using the standard (non-E) bike. It had potential to be a bit quicker in acceleration because it was a bit lighter, especially in rotating mass. That is why it was used in the road test performance tests.

I have a 1978 E, but I'm not certain if my electronic ignition is stock or aftermarket. I just don't remember.
        Electronic ignition didn't come on any of the GS1000 bikes until the 1980 model year. Everything else you mention though is correct though. The standard model had a nifty little turn signal buzzer though, most people immediately disconnected and tossed it. Also the standard models in the North American market came in red or blue for both years ('78 - '79) and the "E" was black only. Other markets I think may have had different colours. I also think the center handle bar trim/pad was deleted on the standard model.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X