Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100e front brake system

Ok. Finished my front forks...

Next i dug into the front brakes. I know of 3 problems im going to have.
    1). Replacing the caliper piston boot
    2). Getting the damn springed plunger out of the master cylinder
    3). Getting the c-clip and boot back in on master cylinder

any tips on any of this???

A snapring tool is very helpful in removing the c-clip (and very useful elsewhere on the bike. I like these: https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08...+pro+snap+ring

A new boot can be tough to get on. An air compressor can help as shown in a video I listed in another post. You could probably search my postings and find it.

Comment

Snap ring is out, washer is now out - but I would ASSUME the plunger woulda popped out of the Master cylinder (front) since its not being retained and under spring pressure.
      Its not poppin out. Looking down the side of the plunger, it looks like another boot that is under the washer. I'm hesitant to pull on the plunger because well.....I break stuff.

Am I missing something?? Why wont it pop out?

Comment

Originally posted by radbassist View Post

Am I missing something?? Why wont it pop out?
        can you push in the piston against the spring and quickly release it so the spring pushes out the piston.

Failing that do you have access to an airline? If so I would suggest carefully blowing down the small hole that is in the bottom of the fluid reservoir that should push the piston out. Make sure you cover with a cloth so that any brake fluid does not spray out and damage any paint work.
        Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 11-09-2016, 05:55 AM.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

I'll dig into it this weekend - wondering if I should just cut my losses, put the washer and c-clip back in with a new boot and hope for the best. I believe I can do the calipers easily...

Comment

Switch to an EX650 Master cylinder if you don't care about originality... You can usually get them for about $20-$30 on Ebay

You can also fit Twinpots to that model. I use the same 83 1100E fork legs on my 1000 in the pics below.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ive got a front mastercylinder from an 82 gs1100e that was working when I removed it. I will part with it pretty cheap if you need it.

edit: I have the front calipers too.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Thank you sir! I popped the piston out finally.....But I'm still crossing my fingers I don't break anything

Comment

Originally posted by radbassist View Post
                  Thank you sir! I popped the piston out finally.....But I'm still crossing my fingers I don't break anything
                  No problem. When I switched front ends to the GS1150, I had some parts left over that I couldn't use and my master cylinder didn't fit on my GS750ES bars, so I had to use a different one. It wasn't in bad shape and its just laying in my garage now.
                  1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                  X