Can't get the front forks straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get the front forks straight

I'm building up my parts GS450. It had been in what was described as a `minor crash' where the mechanic, after changing the PO's tires, took the bike out for a spin around the block (???), and dumped it to avoid hitting a truck.

One of the front forks was bent so I bought some ebay ones but can't seem to get the front wheel to be perpendicular to the handlebars.

Here's some pictures, sorry for the messy garage I have the bike pushed into the junk area. The front of the front wheel is bending towards slightly towards the left of the bike. The fender isn't on in the pictures but putting it on I can get it to be a little straighter.

Likely causes?
    I don't really have anything invested in this yet so would would rather deal with a possible buggered steering tube/frame before moving on.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

There will be allot of people that know more about this im sure... but did you try loosening the tree and seeing if it straightens out? Also is there any chance the front axle is bent?
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I just saw a video recently where some guy that posts on you tube from across the pond, search Delboy's Garage. He did a process to straighten the front end by loosening the axle pinch bolts followed by loosening the lower triple in order to bring things into alignment.

Hope this helps you. Just go to youtube and search Delboy's Garage.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

I found it by searching Delboy's Garage front wheel alignment.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Found it, thanks for the video link Larry.
          It's very possible that I didn't loosen the front axle/axle caps when I was trying to set them straight so I'll give that a go this weekend when I get a chance.
          I like the `pushing down' method. Obviously havn't tried it yet but it makes sense.
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550

Comment

Comment

hmm.NOT an expert and there's videos like the above to help ....but old second hand Handlebars are often slightly bent so it's difficult to judge misalignment using them. Take the handle bars off and use a broomstick or similar. Overlong helps.
              Try to simplify the lineups if you see my drift.

also Cameras can distort things but the forks don't look right from the front view. (apart from the top view "twist" )They seem to pinch together towards the wheel? If my eyes are not mistaken, remove the wheel and see if you can get everything parallel...see if the holes line up easily. surfaces of holes should be parallel even though the tubes can go up and down on the stanchions.
              Might be spacers at the axle. double check from parts fich ande manual.... Might be tripletrees are not "parallel.
              put a long dowel/broomstick through axle holes- Just the axle is ok but the long dowel helps to eyeball "perpendicularity". Likewise, at the triple trees.

You likely will redo forkseals anyways so having them apart to check springs, parts, will help fiddle/check alignments.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-02-2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Handlebars are new so I can rule that out but I see your point with checking all the pieces are aligned vs. just the overall assembly.

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                also Cameras can distort things but the forks don't look right from the front view. (apart from the top view "twist" )They seem to pinch together towards the wheel? If my eyes are not mistaken, remove the wheel and see if you can get everything parallel...see if the holes line up easily. surfaces of holes should be parallel even though the tubes can go up and down on the stanchions.
                Might be spacers at the axle. double check from parts fich ande manual.... Might be tripletrees are not "parallel.
                Now that I look at it more carefully it does look like the spacing at the wheel is narrower than at the top. I'll definitely double check that I have the spacers correct. Luckily I have an intact 450 to compare with as well as the fiches.

Thanks for all the input so far - I'll get to this tomorrow.
                1977 GS550

Comment

Look at the forks from the side and see if they are parallel. My bike had a similar symptom and I found that the the steering stem was bent, causing the forks to be misaligned and therefore the wheel not in line with the bars.

Comment

This issue is not unusual. Loosen everything on the front end and tighten from the bottom up.
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                    X