Right caliper spacing OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right caliper spacing OK?

I added a second front caliper/disc to my GR650. I replace the right outer tube with one from an '83 650G to get right caliper mounts. The way the front axle fits into the right fork is different than the original, so there was a bit of work to make the spacing correct. When I mounted the caliper, I had to add 5 washers between the fork and the caliper to get it to line up correctly on the disc. The disc I fitted are the same as the one on the left and these are same as the GS850G and GS1100G ,and the GS650g, so it is a common disc. The question is this OK? should I be concerned about flex? I bought some longer bolts so there is plenty of thread in the caliper. Here is a picture.
    IMG_1885.jpg

Might be a wheel bearing issue. A lot of people don't put the bearings in correctly, it results in the wheel being offset to one side. The Suzuki Service Manual shows the correct procedure, the others don't.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What he said ^^^^^

Also, how far away from the fork leg is the new disc? Same distance as the other side?

If the disc sits further in than the other side for whatever reason you would probably be better off spacing the disc out from the hub than using washers on the caliper.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I want the wheel to be centered relative to the frame. If it was centered before relative to the left fork, then it should still be centered provided I did not change the spacing on that side. That means the right fork is sized a bit differently than the one it replaced. I eyeballed it and it looked pretty similar. The fender and caliper mounts were the same. So I'm not sure why I need so much spacing. But I think hillsy has the best idea, which is to space the disc out. I'll make so more measurements.

Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Working...
        X