Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banjo bolts...

Hi all,

I think I already know that answer to this, but since y'all know everything about these bikes, I'm going to ask anyway. I want to remove the banjo bolts that connect the brake lines to the calipers so I can polish them (the parts fiche calls them a "union bolt"). If I do that, will I loose all my brake fluid?

Yep. Probably not all,but you'll need to bleed the brakes after anyway.

How is your system,as in age of fluid, age of hoses etc?
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
      Yep. Probably not all,but you'll need to bleed the brakes after anyway.

How is your system,as in age of fluid, age of hoses etc?
      Fluid and pads (front and rear) and front reservoir are only about a month old, everything else is original.

Comment

It wold be worth your while to replace the brake hoses with some new ones (steel braided brake lines). You'll notice a sizable improvement.

Comment

You probably want to consider changing your hoses. Suzuki recommended replacement every two years. They lose rigidity over time, and lead to sponginess at the lever. Reason I asked is that you may want to do as much as possible at the same time, so as not to have keep bleeding your system.

Braided steel lines are popular, as they give you firmer brakes, and last a lot longer than the originals. But they don't look original. Your call on that.
          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
            You probably want to consider changing your hoses. Suzuki recommended replacement every two years. They lose rigidity over time, and lead to sponginess at the lever. Reason I asked is that you may want to do as much as possible at the same time, so as not to have keep bleeding your system.

Braided steel lines are popular, as they give you firmer brakes, and last a lot longer than the originals. But they don't look original. Your call on that.
            Yes, they don't look totally original, but you can get them in black (along with many other colors) and they look more original. 👍
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I'm almost sold on the idea of braided steel..... so do y'all have a recommendation for what brand to buy, or what NOT to buy?

Comment

Give Renn Sport Auto a call in Canada and you should have them quickly. Earles, and make your own, videos available.
                1981 GS 1000GLX.
                1981 GS 1000G.
                1981 GS 650GLX.
                1975 TS 185.
                1972 100. Kawasaki.
                1968 100. Suzuki.
                1970 Z 50. Honda.
                1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

I bought from lines from Rennsport as well. He sells Apex branded lines and fittings. This used to be his Ebay store but its currenntly empty. This store's layout reminds me of Rennsport's listings so i'm guessing he changed user names or something
                  Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                  2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                    I bought from lines from Rennsport as well. He sells Apex branded lines and fittings. This used to be his Ebay store but its currenntly empty. This store's layout reminds me of Rennsport's listings so i'm guessing he changed user names or something
                    I just got 2 complete sets from them. One for the 1000 (4 lines) and one for the 750 (6 lines) in black. They also including new banjo bolts and washers. Total cost for both sets including shipping was $243.00US. They're still sitting on the shelf so can't tell you how they fit yet. Email Raymond at sales@rennsportautoparts.com and he'll fix you up.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

I have used Rennsport twice for new SS Braided Brake Lines and both times noticed the double banjo bolts were short, I cleaned up the originals and used those instead.

Good product, great service and reasonable prices, he usually has the spec's for all the GS models on hand.

I always take mine off, measure and give him the lengths and offsets/angles just to make sure.

One small nit pick I had was the angles of the connectors, for the GS1000 it needs about 30 degree offset for the front master reservoir, they only have 0 or 45 so not quite right but I made do with the 45 degree offset.

Maybe they have made changes since I last dealt with them 3 years ago, but will be placing a new order shortly so I will know if they offer the different offsets and the longer double banjo bolts then.

David.
                      Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 04-04-2017, 03:09 PM.
                      2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                      2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                      1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                      2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                      1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                      1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                      1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                      Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I used Earl's and made my own for my GS450 and have the stuff sitting on the bench for my GS750. One line + 2x banjos + copper gaskets was less than $60 IIRC and was pretty straight forward to put together - there's pictures in my GS450 thread (see sig.).

Also here's the thread explaining which parts to buy:
                        Last edited by sam000lee; 04-04-2017, 03:17 PM.
                        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                        1977 GS550
                        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                          I just got 2 complete sets from them. One for the 1000 (4 lines) and one for the 750 (6 lines) in black. They also including new banjo bolts and washers. Total cost for both sets including shipping was $243.00US. They're still sitting on the shelf so can't tell you how they fit yet. Email Raymond at sales@rennsportautoparts.com and he'll fix you up.
                          Hey Sandy,

Thanks for the contact. I just emailed Raymond for a quote for front and back SS lines for my '81 GS850G.

Comment

Same guy. I have bought several sets from him. Ships fast, good quality. That said I bought Russell last time, haven't received them yet so can't comment on quality. Might as well do the master cylinder and calipers at the same time with genuine Suzuki seals. No one said this was gonna be cheap
                            sigpic
                            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260
                            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                              I have used Rennsport twice for new SS Braided Brake Lines and both times noticed the double banjo bolts were short, I cleaned up the originals and used those instead.

Good product, great service and reasonable prices, he usually has the spec's for all the GS models on hand.

I always take mine off, measure and give him the lengths and offsets/angles just to make sure.

One small nit pick I had was the angles of the connectors, for the GS1000 it needs about 30 degree offset for the front master reservoir, they only have 0 or 45 so not quite right but I made do with the 45 degree offset.

Maybe they have made changes since I last dealt with them 3 years ago, but will be placing a new order shortly so I will know if they offer the different offsets and the longer double banjo bolts then.

David.
                              They have 15 as well, but not 30... Double banjos are $7
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X