No announcement yet.

1980 gs 850 rear brake caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone know the suzuki part no for the o ring for the back brake caliper i ordered one which is part no 69107-4500 which was in the link steve posted but when ive split the caliper the o ring ive got is to big just wondering whether the caliper has been changed at some time the existing o ring is 11.73 mm and the new one is 13.o3 any body she4d any light on this

Comment

Strange. That rear caliper was pretty much universal on Suzukis of that age. Can you post a photo of yours, just to be sure it is the original?
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
        If you're going to rebuild it, then you split.

Else it's not called rebuilding, but half-assing.

This is not the correct approach to motorcycle work in general, and to vintage bikes in particular.

All you do is cause yourself more work down the line at best, or doing serious damage at worst.
        OMG!

I was thinking the same thing as I read through the replies. I've done a single caliper rebuild on my bike...PITA but I had time/took my time soaking/cleaning the calipers. Ordered all the replaced parts on partsoutlaw.com and Bob's your uncle.

It helps if you built plastic models as a kid to look at the IPB (Illustrated Parts Breakdown).

OP, good luck with the rebuild...at least I hope you split the caliper.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

well ive just been looking at part nos and the 850 calipers ive been looking at have 2 bleed nipples where as mine only has one ,but the piston and seal seem to fit ok so anyone know which caliper only has one bleed nipple

Comment

well it seems 1983 850 gs have a single bleed nipple don't know if there are any part nos anywhere on the caliper

Comment

Sounds like someone retro-fitted a caliper from a later model.

This one, perhaps?

1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Jordan, the piston and cup set you refer to is for the master cylinder; GPZ is asking about the caliper itself where he'll need the individual seals
                I'm an idiot. Thanks for the correction.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

looks like that could be the one

Comment

well i have found what i think is the oring for between the caliper halves and got it ordered ,next problem when i first bought the gs i put in another motor in i now realize that i did not put the drive shaft into the swinging arm so is it quicker to take out the engine or take off the swinging arm im heading towards swinging arm out because after stomach surgery i think the swinging arm out will be the easiest way any thoughts on this

Comment

Originally posted by gpz View Post
                      well i have found what i think is the oring for between the caliper halves and got it ordered ,next problem when i first bought the gs i put in another motor in i now realize that i did not put the drive shaft into the swinging arm so is it quicker to take out the engine or take off the swinging arm im heading towards swinging arm out because after stomach surgery i think the swinging arm out will be the easiest way any thoughts on this
                      I suppose this qualifies as worthy of a new post, but yes, you can remove the swingarm much more easily than the engine to install the driveshaft.

Good opportunity to grease and adjust the swingarm bearings, too.

Good luck with the recovery, too. Don't go lifting heavy stuff and pop a stitch...
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thanks for all the reply's its been very helpful

Comment

Working...
                        X