Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850L tires

Hey guys,

I would like to find some Dunlop Qualifier RWL tires for my 1982 GS850L. 130/90 16 rear 100/90 19 front.
    Has anyone found a source for those ? Back in the day they were everywhere, but alas time marches on. I would really like to have the raised white letters so the bike would look period correct. Any suggestions , thanks

Is this a museum piece that you will have on a stand and look at, or do you actually plan to ride it?

If you plan on riding it, just how SAFE do you want to be?

If you really insist on having your RWL tires, click HERE for some Dunlop 491 Elite II tires.

I don't know what the Qualifiers actually qualified for, but they were basically just protectors so the bike's rims did not scratch the showroom floor.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts Steve. I ran them on the 850 I had before and on a 1200 Goldwing I had. They did okay I thought. The rear did wear fast but they were sticky I thought. I wanted to get them again unless they have really changed over the last 15 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by BillH View Post
        Thanks for your thoughts Steve. I ran them on the 850 I had before and on a 1200 Goldwing I had. They did okay I thought. The rear did wear fast but they were sticky I thought. I wanted to get them again unless they have really changed over the last 15 years or so.
        Steve's point is that Dunlop has not made Qualifiers for some years and any that you find will be old and unsafe to use. As for how good they were, tire technology has moved far along from where it was 30 years ago and the Avon AM-26, Bridgestone BT-45, Pirelli Sport Demon and Shinko 712's and 230's are all much better tires than anything available from the 80's. The Qualifier brand name is now being used by Dunlop for their supersport race tires which are not what you are looking for.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Thanks Mark, so I didn't know they quit making them. Explains why I can't find any at big box vendor sites. I didn't know if there was a way to get fresh rubber of those from a replica place or something along those lines. I found the Bridgestone Spitfires RWL tires, I assume it is fresh rubber, and I believe those came on the Honda Magna of the era and probably other bikes as well. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...tter-rear-tire

I really would like to get white lettered tires, to me, it looks so much better with the era of bike. With that said, my budget has a limit.

Comment

Originally posted by BillH View Post
            I really would like to get white lettered tires, to me, it looks so much better with the era of bike. With that said, my budget has a limit.
            Personally, I wouldn't compromise tire performance just to get white lettering, but that is my personal value choice. I would buy the tires I want and then figure out how to fill the lettering with white marker of some sort. I think there have been threads on that very thing here, but I have never paid attention to them. Maybe someone looking on can link to one of those threads?

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Michelin Commander II's come in the right sizes - but not RWL I think.
              These are really good tires for the "L" -
              I have them on mine and they stick well and give good longevity.

Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

If you click on the link that I gave you back in post #2, you will see that the Elite II is a RWL tire.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks Steve, yeah I saw that. They look good. KInda pricy Although I use to spend that for Goldwing tires

Comment

I wish my Goldwing tires were that cheap. They have not gotten any cheaper over the years.

Just checked current prices on replacements.

Elite 2 front is 124, rear is 171, from the link I gave you.

For my Wing:
                    Elite 3 front is 165, rear is 197.
                    Elite 4 front is 165, rear is 214.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

E4s will deliver the best economy without sacrificing handling -- but they may be noisy --
                      Dual compound tires can scallop along the edges and get a bit loud while riding on the edges.
                      But they last a lot longer ...

Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

check out this thread, there are RWL Bridgestone Spitfires inside...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...otorcycle-tire
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I bought the Spitfires for the same reason you want RWL. My 850L came to me with Qualifiers and they were smooth and rode well (for street) but wore out in a very short time. I then had Bridgestone 303's put on it and they wore longer but handled a little different.
                          I'm giving the Spitfire's a whirl because the Dunlop 404 I put on late last year will need to be replaced already and I prefer RWL on the "L"'s.
                          Those Dunlop Elites look nice though.
                          Alan

sigpic
                          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
                          X