Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Wheel Swap GS650GL

Hey everyone,

I did some searching on this but was unable to find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm inheriting an 81 GS650GL and I'd like to swap out the 16" rear wheel with a 17". Since this bike is shaft drive, I'm assuming my selection will be slim. Is there anything that will be a direct replacement?

The plan is to increase the rear wheel size and put on 13.5" shocks to raise the rear. Trying move it away from the cruiser stance and posture.

Thanks!

The only rear wheel swap for the shaft drives I've seen had a lot of machining done at both ends to get the parts to work.

Comment

Virtually all of the non-L GS shafties have 17" rear wheels, so your selection is not quite as slim as you might think.
      The major exception here is the 1100GK, which came with a 16" wheel.

There were some differences in the spacers from one size bike to another, and the spoke pattern changed in '82, but everything else will match. The splines were all the same and all the axle sizes were the same, which only leaves the matter of spacers to get the brake caliper centered over the disk.

You should also be aware that raising the rear will steepen the angle of the forks. It won't be much, but it might be just enough to change the handling.

If you are wanting to get away from a "cruiser stance and posture", you should aplogize to whomever is giving you the bike, then sell it and get what you want. There is just so MUCH about the 650L that screams CRUISER, it would be easier and cheaper to just replace the bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Virtually all of the non-L GS shafties have 17" rear wheels, so your selection is not quite as slim as you might think.
        The major exception here is the 1100GK, which came with a 16" wheel.

There were some differences in the spacers from one size bike to another, and the spoke pattern changed in '82, but everything else will match. The splines were all the same and all the axle sizes were the same, which only leaves the matter of spacers to get the brake caliper centered over the disk.

You should also be aware that raising the rear will steepen the angle of the forks. It won't be much, but it might be just enough to change the handling.

If you are wanting to get away from a "cruiser stance and posture", you should aplogize to whomever is giving you the bike, then sell it and get what you want. There is just so MUCH about the 650L that screams CRUISER, it would be easier and cheaper to just replace the bike.

I sold my XJ last summer, so a cruiser is better than nothing! Moving to 17" in the rear opens up the tire selection in addition to looking better.

It's not an immediate need to modify the bike. Thankfully, the previous owner already got ride of the buck horn handlebars! It's a step in the right direction.

Thx for the help!

Comment

Actually, you will find plenty of selection in the 16" size.

In fact, I just got two 16" wheels, one for my bike and one for my son's bike.
          We are going on a trip next year, and I don't want to have to change tires while on the trip.
          The only tires I can find that have a decent chance of lasting are not available in a 17" rear.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Agreed -- you'll have a much greater selection of tires in 16" rear.

And although you haven't stated this directly, I can sort of feel it in the aether... what you really want is to stuff a big ol' wide phat meat rear tire in there so it'll look all bitchin'.

If so, please don't.

Stick very close to stock tire sizes. (As Steve pointed out, a 17" conversion from another GS shaftie is actually pretty straightforward, if somewhat pointless.)

Unlike boring low-tech 2-dimensional 4-wheeled appliances, motorcycles operate in a third dimension, and must lean to turn. Wider tires just distort the tire's profile into a hamburger shape instead of the nice smooth round profile that makes for smooth controllable and predictable cornering.

If I mistook your intent, apologies in advance...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X