Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR 5.5 wheel swap... help spacers

Hello,

am in the process of swapping a 1993 GSXR 5.5 rear wheel onto my Kat and I have no idea on how I'm going to figure out what size spacers I need.. I imagine I will need one or two custom spacers made up.

Here's some details..

- the swingarm I'm using, I measured the width in there where the wheel, spacers, brake hanger, etc all go.. it's roughly 9" and 7/8s or 9" and 15/16s to be exact.

-the rear wheel is from a 1993 GSXR 1100, 5.5

-I'm using the GS sprocket hub as stated on Katman's website.

-the mounting point for the brake torque arm is on top of the swingarm. So I will be using a brake assembly similar to this one. I just ordered a 2007 Suzuki GS500 rear brake assembly as it looks to be a similar set up

As I said, I've got no idea what spacers to use, what spacers will work.. maybe someone has tackled this same thing before?
    Attached Files

There is not a single way to do this and there is no easy way to do this. Ultimately this is what I did working with Katman and doing my own measurements to align 18" wheels in an offset bandit swinger.

1.) Figure out how much offset your swingarm has. You can use a T square and measure along the swingarm bolt to see how far each fork end is offset from the center. If they are symmetrical then the calculations are easier as you just have to keep the rim centered with the swing forks. If not then you have to split the difference and offset the wheel in between. Now by trial and error figure out what spacers you need. Make sure you use a tape measure between teh axles and the swingarm bolt to make sure the wheel is basically square in the swing arm.

2.) Once the wheel is centered then you can use the string method to align the rear wheel with the front wheel.

3.) Once the rear wheel is aligned you can measure the chain alignment and adjust the nominal offset of the counter sprocket. Generally you need 5/8" for a 5.5" wheel.

There is a thread pretty long thread on wheel alignment if you do a search.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-10-2017, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Okay so over slung brake caliper is a no go as there is no clearance with a 180 tire on there. I will have to grind off that brake torque arm mount and will have to use an under slung brake assembly instead. Will an underslung brake, does the torque arm mount somewhere to the motor? or the frame? Would 90s GSXR brake assembly work at all?
      Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

brake arm mounts to the swing arm unless you don't have an arm.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          brake arm mounts to the swing arm unless you don't have an arm.
          Underslung brake arm has been mounted to frame in the past.
          The idea being to reduce braking forces pushing the swingarm up while braking and reduce chassis geometry change.
          This did not bring the results they hoped for, so the idea was abandoned.
          But mounting the arm to the frame is not a bad idea.

knarf_zolder_2_big.jpg
          Last edited by Rijko; 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
            Underslung brake arm has been mounted to frame in the past.
            The idea being to reduce braking forces pushing the swingarm up while braking and reduce chassis geometry change.
            This did not bring the results they hoped for, so the idea was abandoned.
            But mounting the arm to the frame is not a bad idea.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52291[/ATTACH]
            Thanks, I was quoting the most common brake arm options. Katman used an arm less caliper (not sure what he called it anymore) that attached direct to the swing arm close to the axle.

Comment

Working...
            X