Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tires, bad luck at HD dealer

I was replacing my 12 year old tire, so I took it to the only dealer
    Within 35 miles for a mount and ballence .
    My 81 gs750e has mag wheels stock.
    I drop off wheel and tire and go run some errands and return
    To find out their tire guy says he has to install a tube in that old of wheel.
    I'm passed but say go ahead.
    Return 45 min later to find out theif ball3ncer is broke.
    I pay the bill 50.00 for a tube and a tire change and no balence. I'll never go back.
    I think he's wrong bout my wheel need9ng a Tube?
    Are my wheels for tubeless Tires?
    Will it hurt anything to run a tube in a tubl3ss tire?
    Thanks

You don't need no stinking tube... They just didn't want to lower themselves to work on a jap bike, so they made excuses.
    Tire changing is easy with some simple cheap tools (extra hands are a bonus) -balancing ain't that hard. See this link for bwringer's setup. I use a similar and it works fine

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The dealer was in the right as far as the tube -- the 81 GS750E did in fact come with a tube in the front.
      Shop online for OEM Front Wheel parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS750E, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-595-4063

Many people have modified early GS alloy wheels to run tubeless with no problems, but there's no dealer on the planet who would accept the liability for this. You brought the wheel to the dealer with a tube, that's the way it comes from the factory, and so they must install a tube.

$50 sucks but isn't too terribly bad -- the tube probably ran at least $20 - $25of that, plus tube tires entail a good bit of added work.
      Last edited by bwringer; 08-18-2017, 04:35 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        You don't need no stinking tube...[/url]
        Oh great advice from a "guru", basically TELLING them you dont need a tube. Maybe suggest you dont need a tube and let them make up there own mind. This site is for advice i was thinkn, not barking orders at noobs.

Comment

So what about the rear,it's next,tube or Not?
          And I'll change it myself, been doing it for years.
          Went to dealer for ballence.
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
            Thanks.
            Yep, the original setup was a tube in the rear too.
            Shop online for OEM Rear Wheel parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS750E, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-595-4063

To see what they came with originally, just look at the parts diagrams for the front wheel or rear wheel.

Remember, tubeless tires were a strange, exotic new rarity back in 1980 (when your 1981 model bike was built). Nowadays, even tires in vintage sizes are normally marked tube/tubeless -- they can be used tubeless on a tubeless wheel, and on a spoked or non-tubeless cast wheel, use a tube.

Also, no need to go to dealer for balancing. You can do a much better job at home with very simple materials and about 20 minutes of your time. The "computer whatsit spin balancers" are faster and require a bit less skill, but they are not more accurate.

Here are my homemade balancing stands, made from an old untrustworthy pair of jack stands and some bearings salvaged from a friend's inline skates, and some random metal scrap.

Stick the axle through the wheel, put it on these stands, and you can balance to better than 1/8 ounce accuracy in a few minutes per wheel in the comfort of your own garage.

Note ingenious substitute for a wheel and axle for illustrative purposes...

Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have a similar set up. No bearings but I vibrate or tap on the steel rod I use as
              An axel till it stops moving.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
                Thanks.
                If the wheel isn't marked as applicable for tubeless tires, I always use a tube.

Comment

End3d up using tubes, both wheels.

Comment

Dynabeads and forget all that balancing aggravation.............
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I hate Dyna Beads. I've only ran across them a few times, but the owner either doesn't know about them being in there or forgets to tell and it makes a damn mess. I've been using tubeless tires on mags for years. You just need to use a steel automotive clamp style valve stem to ensure no air leaks as the hole in the wheel wasn't designed for standard push in valve stems.
                      :cool:GSRick
                      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                        I hate Dyna Beads. I've only ran across them a few times, but the owner either doesn't know about them being in there or forgets to tell and it makes a damn mess.
                        LOL, that's when the aggravation with beads begins!
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Real happy with my hillbilly ballence job, no bounce,no head shake.
                          I did order some beads, though their for my cb750f, it shakes even after my ballence.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                            LOL, that's when the aggravation with beads begins!
                            Yep. Five years after the event, there are still thousands of those teensy ceramic beads in nooks and crannies all over my garage... I was helping a friend change tires, and the PO of his bike didn't mention any frakkin' beads...

&^%$#@^%$@!
                            Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                            X