Swingarm bushings...how to install???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm bushings...how to install???

I've tried everything to get these suckers in. I had to torch and cut and whack the hell out of them with a BFH to get the old worn ones out, and the new ones won't go in no matter how hard I try to persuade them.

I have the new bearings in, just used some threaded rod and they went in nice and easy.
    sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

A long drift and tap em out from the opposite side
    they are a bugger
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Get a bigger hammer... Good luck!

Comment

Oh sorry freeze em and heat the swingarm
        pop em in cold as I recal hardest part was initial insertion after that the went in easy enough
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Freeze them and heat the swingarm like Cipher said. When you go to install them, use a block of wood large enough to cover the entire bearing plus a little extra and a hammer to knock them down into place. Be sure to hit on all sides so as to knock the bearing in evenly
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
            I've tried everything to get these suckers in. I had to torch and cut and whack the hell out of them with a BFH to get the old worn ones out, and the new ones won't go in no matter how hard I try to persuade them.

I have the new bearings in, just used some threaded rod and they went in nice and easy.
            When you say bushings, what part are you referring to in this parts diagram?

Is it #6, the spacers that go inside the bearings or something else?

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
              When you say bushings, what part are you referring to in this parts diagram?

Is it #6, the spacers that go inside the bearings or something else?

Mark

I'm talking about #5 on that diagram...the bushings that the bottom shock bolts connect to...
              sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

I made this to both remove and install:

7A8EAD0B-315A-4382-B4D7-6300617F2BD5 by starpoint73, on Flickr

Appropriately sized sockets bolt to the top and bottom, bushings in the freezer for a while, and they ended up installing pretty easily.

To remove I heated the swingarm. One side was easy, the other not so much.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
                  I'm talking about #5 on that diagram...the bushings that the bottom shock bolts connect to...
                  OK, good. Now we are all talking about the same thing. I agree with the others that you want to heat the swingarm and freeze the bushings. Also check the edges of the bores and the bushings to make sure they are all nicely chamfered with no burrs or anything to hang up.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Hydraulic press is the correct way.

I got mad at an incompetent monkey in a machine shop a few years back and bought my own 20 ton hydraulic press. The thing has turned out to be ridiculously useful for all sorts of things, not just pressing bearings and bushings in and out.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Hydraulic press is the correct way.
                      This is true. I'm a dumbass and forgot to mention anything about applying force in my post above... While a press is the best choice a bench vise works just fine for lots of smaller pieces and allows slow, controlled application of force. If OP can rig up a vise with some soft blocks to press the bushings in that should work no problem.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I managed to get them in. I sanded the edge of the bores a bit, and that helped get them started. There must have been something they were hanging up on. Putting them in the freezer helped too.

Once they were started I managed to get them the rest of the way in by adding a couple of these to my threaded rod setup --->https://946e583539399c301dc7-100ffa5...91/3104153.jpg

The washers I used to press the bearings in were just bending on me, so I guess these bushings needed a little more force. More and more I'm finding that whacking away with a hammer is great for getting things out...but slow controlled force is much easier on the install...

A hydraulic press would be nice, but it's a bit out of the budget.

Pete - That bottle jack setup looks pretty awesome!

sigpic

Comment

The bottle jack setup is ok, but to be honest the steel I used wasn't quite solid enough... the top part started to bow at one point.

Also, you do need to take care that it's pressing evenly as the way I clamped the base to the cross bar isn't ideal and is just using what I had laying around, so it can move a bit.

It certainly did the job though!
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                          X