Avon tires still cracking apparently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avon tires still cracking apparently

My neighbor called me over last week to look yet again at his avon RR's on his Honda. They replaced them for cracking late last fall. This set is worse than the prior set and I checked the date codes, both 2016 built. What the heck gives on these. He took it back to the shop and supposedly a new set will go on this Thursday. Total miles 294. Thought the cracking had been ironed out, apparently not.

This must be a US market thing... is it because they get stored over winter or something? I've been running them exclusively on my 450 for a few years now but over here it's year round riding and warmer weather and I've had no issues whatsoever... well, except for wearing the centre of the rear flat on the commute, but that's not the tyre's fault
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

That's not good... Is this a a widespread problem? I just picked up a set of Avon roadriders for my 750...
      sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

It might not apply to all Avon RR's - might just be that batch in that particular size.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I've installed and worn out dozens of RoadRiders and I've never once seen any cracking in person.

Most riders never see any cracking, but it does undeniably happen sometimes. The complaint has popped up off and on for several years. Whatever factors are involved, cracking simply shouldn't happen -- it doesn't affect other tires in the same garage. I've never seen reports of problems with other Avon tires, either. There seems to be something specific happening with certain random batches of RoadRiders.

I don't think anyone has quite figured out a pattern. I also don't think anyone has figured out how widespread the problem is.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

+1, been using roadriders for.....10 years or so with no issues. Problem is sporadic. Sorry you are on the bad end of it.
            Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            I've installed and worn out dozens of RoadRiders and I've never once seen any cracking in person.

Most riders never see any cracking, but it does undeniably happen sometimes. The complaint has popped up off and on for several years. Whatever factors are involved, cracking simply shouldn't happen -- it doesn't affect other tires in the same garage. I've never seen reports of problems with other Avon tires, either. There seems to be something specific happening with certain random batches of RoadRiders.

I don't think anyone has quite figured out a pattern. I also don't think anyone has figured out how widespread the problem is.
            1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Are we talking about side wall cracking? My problem is with the rear tire splitting. After about 5,000 miles of heavy summer riding I noticed the tire splitting in the bottom of the center tread. I rode it another 1,000 that way. When I got home I immediately changed it out with a new Road Rider. About 2,000 later, same thing. I compared the date codes same date. (1316 I think). Next spring I'm going to try Avon Road Riders one more time with a different date code and see what happens...
              Attached Files
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                Are we talking about side wall cracking? My problem is with the rear tire splitting. After about 5,000 miles of heavy summer riding I noticed the tire splitting in the bottom of the center tread. I rode it another 1,000 that way. When I got home I immediately changed it out with a new Road Rider. About 2,000 later, same thing. I compared the date codes same date. (1316 I think). Next spring I'm going to try Avon Road Riders one more time with a different date code and see what happens...
                His is sidewall cracking. Interestingly last time this happened they said we'll have you bring the bike down when the rep comes and show him and go from there. This time they just set and appointment and ordered up the tires. I wonder if the problem is becoming MORE common or maybe like someone said, it is a known issue with certain sizes. I told him to see if they would swap him into some other tires but no dice.

Comment

Mine split the same as that down to wires in centre of tread, not going to buy Avon again.
                  My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Working...
                  X