1985 GS 1150 Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS 1150 Tires?

My bike has Metzler Lasertec tires front and back. 110 and 130 i think. They are dry and cracking. They were on the bike when i bought it. Any suggestions on what size and model i should replace them with? Thanks.

What's wrong with keeping with the stock sizes?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

For years I ran a size wider front and back on mine. This season I've been using a new set in stock sizes. (Ease of avalibity). No noticeable difference in riding from this generally mild rider. Ive been using Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires for years. I've read that some dont like them, but as mentioned I'm generally not that aggressive in my riding, save for the occasional spirited romp.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Nothing wrong with stock size. Not sure what that is? I think 85 model had a wider rear wheel? Just thought maybe someone had some input regarding tire makes and models?

Comment

Stock is 110/90-16 front, 130/90-17 rear.

The 16 inch front is the oddball, and this severely limits your choices. Fortunately there are still two excellent choices in this size that also have a matching 130/90-17 rear -- the Bridgestone BT45 and the Pirelli Sport Demon.

The Pirelli is probably a little stickier, but it's shorter-lived.

America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

The Metzelers are still available if you just gotta have that Bangles/Madonna/Michael Jackson era look, but they're expensive and there are two better, more modern choices above.

Personally, I'd slap on a set of Bridgestones.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by journeyquest View Post
            Nothing wrong with stock size. Not sure what that is? I think 85 model had a wider rear wheel? Just thought maybe someone had some input regarding tire makes and models?
            If you do have an 85 with 3.5'' rear rim the Pirelli Sport Demon 140/80/17 is a great tire, but short lived as Bwringer mentioned.
            I usually buy one a year.
            A 140 on an 84 3" inch rim is definitely pinched a bit (steeper sidewall profile).
            I currently have a Pirelli SD on the front and can't say I'm very happy with it.
            The profile is rounder than a BT 45, but both profiles seemed to not jive with me.
            I used to have a BT45 up front that felt vague an unconfidence inspiring as well.
            My favorite that they don't make anymore was a Michelin Macadam 110/90/16.
            Not sure if Continental has 16's, but I've been tempted to try the Conti-go's or whatever they're called.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Cruise the Conti site for the TKV 11/12 series (made for 80s sport bikes)
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Cruise the Conti site for the TKV 11/12 series (made for 80s sport bikes)
                The TKV11 is available in the 110/90-16 front, but not the TKV12 in the 130/90-17 rear (or 140/80-17).

Then again, there's nothing really wrong with playing mix and match with modern quality rubber. If you like the Conti TKV11 front that much, you could combine it with a Conti GO! rear, or another rear.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have always used stock sizes,

of all the front tires I've burned through in the last 20 years on the 1150 I like the metzler ME33 lazertec (is it still called ME33?) mounted on the front the most.

With that tire on the front, it doesn't really matter whats on the back.
                  Once every few years I cheap out and try something different and I have always been disappointed, the replacement front initially feels great, as almost all new tires do, but the honeymoon soon ends, the tire cups after a few thousand km resulting in vibration ultimately leading to a mild headshake. Or, depending on brand, feels greasy and uncomfortable going into the corner.

So the last 3 rear tires I had were Avon, Cheng Shin and Shinko. all lasted the the same , around 5000 km. I get double that out of the front.
                  GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                  X