Fork upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork upgrade

Has anyone upgraded the fork on their GS850gl? what fit and how did you get around finding a rear rim that matched the new front one?
    sigpicA distinguished Gentleman's ride

1981 Suzuki GS850gl, Café Racer!

Built, not Bought!

What kind of an "upgrade" are you looking for?

There are upgrades that don't require changing ANY rims.

What is your goal for the bike? Are you trying to turn your cruiser into a race bike?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hmmm, I would think a single disc to dual...

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        Hmmm, I would think a single disc to dual...

Ed
        Already has dual discs.

Basically, I'd get the fork working the way it's supposed to, and see how you feel. GS forks work surprisingly well when they're right.

- Straight rate fork springs from Sonicsprings.com
        - New OEM fork seals and bushings ("slide metal") if needed or loose.
        - Flush, clean, refill with 10W fork oil to the proper level (fork oil amount is irrelevant; setting the level is the only accurate way)
        - Check wheel bearings
        - If you haven't done so already, replace the steering stem bearings with new tapered bearings and adjust properly.

Oooooh, much better, eh? The fork springs really reduce brake dive and give you so much more control.

Somewhat optional:
        - Cartridge emulators. To be honest, I haven't tried these, but people who have say they're the bee's knees.
        - Fork brace. To be honest once again, I had a fork brace on my GS850G and I removed it -- it does keep the forks from twisting and flexing under hard use, but it felt numb to me. I honestly preferred the extra feedback. I'm kinda strange, I guess.

Not Optional:
        - Make sure your brakes are up to snuff. GS brakes work astonishingly well when they're right.
        - Plop in modern semi-sintered or organic pads
        - Add braided stainless brake lines
        - Clean the brake master cylinders and calipers thoroughly, and reassemble with fresh OEM seals and such. Ponder the parts diagrams carefully and replace any corroded or missing hardware, springs, shims, etc.

If you have your heart set on modern replacement forks, you're probably in for a disappointment -- there are few, if any modern forks that are long enough, unless you want to re-engineer a set of dirtbike forks. And besides, a modern 17 inch front wheel would look absolutely silly and shorter forks would play hell with your cornering clearance.

And of course, let's not forget good shocks out back (Progressive or Hagon at minimum) and fresh sticky tires on both ends.

You have a bike that has the potential to handle beautifully and can be ridden VERY rapidly on twisty roads with a few updates to the stock suspension and the appropriate skills.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X