Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front master, bargan,off ebay,possible upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front master, bargan,off ebay,possible upgrade?

I have 2 classic street bikes,my 81 gs750 with 1100 engine, and a 76 cb750F. Honda.
    I wasn't riding the cb750f often because of wooden Brakes!
    I really like the stock gs brakes,not much by today's standards ,but compared to what was available
    In the 70s,they are great.
    In looking at the bikes some by side,the rotars,and calipers were so similar,I wondered why the gs was so much better?
    After researching masters I found the cb750f had a 17+mm bore,and the gs had a 14mm I think.
    Ebay has lots of universal masters for on the Cheap?
    I searched gs master and came up with a nice gs, look alike,polished,with mirror mount, and brake Switch!
    25$ from a us seller,or 19$ China shipment. I paid the US seller and 4-5 days later it came.
    It looks a lot like the one on my Gs. Except it's Polished!
    It came with a rebuild kit, for future use?
    I was a little worried about quality, I couldn't come up with anything wrong but the price?
    I bench bled the unit in a vise, Took bout 3 pumps,then installed on cb,bled at banjo,bout 3 Pumps?
    I did have to clearance the Lever bout 20 thousands,it had no free Travel!
    Wow,what a difference, my cb750f now stops almost as good as the Gs!
    I bought a 14mm, they had 15mm and 16mm, I don't know what the gs is?
    I really like the polished look, I'm probably going to put one on the gs also!
    Thought this might help someone else trying to get safer brakes on an old bike!20171104_121018.jpg

Did they offer different handlebar sizes? 7/8 and 1" ? Can you post a link?
    Last edited by gsrick; 11-06-2017, 10:17 AM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

A link to the source you bought from might be helpful. There are about a bazillion chinese master sellers on ebay these days and it's hard to sort through. What is the thread size for the mirror? Not all are the same.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

One Brake Master Cylinder to fit Suzuki. - Save a copy of the invoice and your MC is covered for one year. Banjo Bolt : 10x1.25mm. Piston Bore : 14mm. Premium Quality. Direct Plug and Play, Easy Installation.

Store megactore, but , I just did a ebay search, gs750 master cylinder, universal motorcycle master cylinder ,
        And they are different styles and sizes.
        My old mirror works, and the cb750f, and gs, banjo fits.
        These were for 7/8 , but I saw several for 1in.

Comment

I put a bout 200 mile on bike since install, done several test panic stops,used the front brake way more than normal,trying to get it to miss behave or leak,all is well.
          No seapage,no leaks,brake Switch works every time, for this price,I may never rebuild one Again?
          And it's a really nice looking Piece! Their was just a tad of Rouge on the alum where it got polished in a hurry and not cleaned up. I. Thinking of buying one just to put on the shelf for future use,I have a friend with an old gl1000 wing that has wooden brakes, after he rides mine he will want one!

Comment

Anyone know the piston bore for the rear master?

Comment

14mm

Personally I'd be careful about using "cheap" brake parts. I'd rather use a Tokico or Nikkei or something off of a couple year old bike than a random "new" one unless I knew the manufacturer or it was well tested by trusted sources (i.e. I wouldn't be the Guinea Pig but might be the 100th Guinea Pig ).

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It was a us seller with good Rating! I guess I'll be the pig?

Comment

I went with the `Kawasaki replica' for my GS750 from 4into1 for ~$45. A little more reputable then a random ebay seller. So far so good with 11,000+ miles. You can switch out the lever with the stock one from my bike, too.

It doesn't have a built in brake light switch, so I got a hydraulic banjo type one. Works great.

This is a reproduction of the Kawasaki brake master cylinder found on the Z1, KZ900 and other bikes. It's a complete master cylinder and lever assembly. You can also use it one any of the 70's Hondas with single disc front brakes. Just flush your hoses, bolt it on, connect the brake hose, add fluid, bleed and then stop like you mean it. At this price it's practically cheaper to replace the whole thing rather than fixing parts of the original.
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I use the EX650 front master cylinder as it's about those same prices used in good shape.

Everything fits the same as a stocker plus you get an adjustable lever. The only thing you have to change is the brake light wire ends as it's microswitch type.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I didn't know the 4into1 Existed?
                      I'd use it if I wanted stock Appearance!
                      I looked at their site,they have options Also?

Comment

Working...
                      X