Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Replacement Options for an 83 650 GL Rear MC with Offset Mounting Holes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Replacement Options for an 83 650 GL Rear MC with Offset Mounting Holes?

Greetings - first time posting in the Brake thread!

I rebuilt all the brake components as a matter of course, but the rear is still weeping past the dust boot, so I either did something wrong (not impossible but not likely) or the MC was just too far gone.

With regards to buying something new to replace it: I see there are plenty of options for MC with the mounting holes that are non-staggered, but for those of us lucky enough to have the staggered mounting holes: are our only options to source a used one and rebuild or is there a unit - not necessarily Suzuki - that fits and bolts right in?

Thanks in advance. I have searched the forum, and someone make an off the cuff comment about adapter plates, but there was no follow up/thru by the original poster.

Cheers,

Geoff

Hmm, that's a weird one. It looks like that MC interchanges with 81-83 GS650G and GS650GL models, so perhaps you could extend your search a bit, or post in parts wanted for a decent rebuildable MC.

One thing that comes to mind is whether you used genuine Suzuki parts to rebuild it. The aftermarket stuff is evil, ill-fitting imitation junk, so might that explain why it's leaking? The Suzuki kit is only about $30 and includes a piston. If you did use Suzuki bits, then never mind...

I don't know of a potential replacement
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Yep - rebuilt (against my better judgment...) with the well-known aftermarket brand. I'll order a OEM rebuilt kit and have another stab at it.

Geoff

Comment

Unless the bore is all pitted and nasty, you should be able to get it working fine with the Suzuki kit.

If there's some corrosion up there, look on Amazon or whatever for a "flex hone" of the appropriate size for the bore.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Will do. Thank for your help.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
          X