Works Performance shock rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Works Performance shock rebuild

I have a pair of Works Performance shocks that came on my 1100ES. They need to be rebuilt and Works is out of business but Race Tech will do it for $300. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they worth rebuilding? What would be an equivalent shock with a company that is actually in business?
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Private Message Chuck78. He knows all about them. 👍
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I didn't know Works went out of business. Edit: it seems the owner died. Bummer. RIP

I rebuilt a set a while back and wound up selling them to Salty_Monk (Dan) for his GS1000. One of them was leaking when I got them so I ordered up a rebuild kit from Works and installed them myself. A friend with a nitrogen tank then pressurized them. Doing the job was easy enough assuming you can get the seals you need and the shafts are not damaged. I've got about 80% of a quart of Works shock oil if you are in need.
      Last edited by Nessism; 11-27-2017, 05:34 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I didn't know Works went out of business. Edit: it seems the owner died. Bummer. RIP
        Might just be temporary. Forking by Frank almost went under when the owner died but his wife runs the business now.

Comment

They are superior to the Progressive, Ikon/Koni, Hagon and stock shocks I've ridden comparable bikes with..... The ARS system is very clever if you have that added. It serves to completely alter the spring rate rather than adding preload so you get the right rate throughout the stroke when adding a passenger.

Ed - want to take over a Shock company with me? - It seems like the worst thing about Works was QC and customer service if you read up on them.
          Last edited by salty_monk; 11-27-2017, 09:36 PM.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I rebuilt a set a while back and wound up selling them to Salty_Monk (Dan) for his GS1000. One of them was leaking when I got them so I ordered up a rebuild kit from Works and installed them myself. A friend with a nitrogen tank then pressurized them. Doing the job was easy enough assuming you can get the seals you need and the shafts are not damaged. I've got about 80% of a quart of Works shock oil if you are in need.
            Sad to see a good company go under like that. Do you think the brand oil would be critical? Race Tech won’t sell the seals but I’ve seen them on other sites. Just need to make sure to get the right ones.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              They are superior to the Progressive, Ikon/Koni, Hagon and stock shocks I've ridden comparable bikes with..... The ARS system is very clever if you have that added. It serves to completely alter the spring rate rather than adding preload so you get the right rate throughout the stroke when adding a passenger.

Ed - want to take over a Shock company with me? - It seems like the worst thing about Works was QC and customer service if you read up on them.
              Brother, there is so much more to bikes than most people imagine. I am just learning about the suspension. I can tell when it stinks but I don’t think I’ve ever ridden a really well tuned suspension. I’d like to get emulators for the front too and block the anti-dive. The list never seems to end. When I had the works shocks on my bike there was no nitrogen pressure and they were puking oil. I remember going around a few curves and wondering why the rear end felt like it would wash out any moment. Put two and two together after being on the forum for a while.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

A take over + rebranding is doable.
                Omars DTR had a good business that went totally south when the owner ran into a number of issues. Looks like Omars Fiberglass Company has sprung out of the ashes & is making a go of it.
                Omar's Fiberglass Company is known for producing a super high quality product.

Comment

Nice pair of Work's shocks here...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Works-perfo...53.m1438.l2649
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Those look just like mine. I just bought the rebuild seals. I’ll have to find someone local to add the 250 lbs of nitrogen but I should have a nice set after that.
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow, I had no idea they folded either.
                      Less than 2 years ago, I had my 13.5" dual street trackers refreshed by them.
                      It was around $225 for new seals, bushing, rod and recharge.
                      That did not include renewing coil spring.
                      Mine were weeping oil as well, after 16 years of daily use.
                      I also have a remote resevoir mono on the ES, not sure what the model name, definitely better than stock.
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

There’s a small local Suzuki shop that's been around forever. I went there this morning to see if they could charge the shocks with nitrogen. $30 for the pair. Took five minutes. I can’t help but think that’s why they’re still small after all these years.
                        sigpic

Comment

I had Works Performance build me a set of ProRacers for my 78 GS1000 1 inch shorter $$$$. After 3 yrs. one of them lost nitrogen. Called Works on the last day they were in business to have them gone through. A nice guy named Eddie Flores talked to me at length. He told me he did all of Works Performance custom stuff. He said he had purchased ALL of the parts to do any and all rebuilds. I sent him mine,he called me back, told me what they needed and the cost. He sent them back and called me to boot. Perfect! I have been a Works Performance dealer for years. Eddie said he would go through any shock(s) I can send him. Contact him yourself. Eddie Flores, 11676 shelvon st. #2, Sun Valley CA 91352 Phone 818-696-3679 Hopes this helps someone, James

Comment

Originally posted by goldbike View Post
                            I had Works Performance build me a set of ProRacers for my 78 GS1000 1 inch shorter $$$$. After 3 yrs. one of them lost nitrogen. Called Works on the last day they were in business to have them gone through. A nice guy named Eddie Flores talked to me at length. He told me he did all of Works Performance custom stuff. He said he had purchased ALL of the parts to do any and all rebuilds. I sent him mine,he called me back, told me what they needed and the cost. He sent them back and called me to boot. Perfect! I have been a Works Performance dealer for years. Eddie said he would go through any shock(s) I can send him. Contact him yourself. Eddie Flores, 11676 shelvon st. #2, Sun Valley CA 91352 Phone 818-696-3679 Hopes this helps someone, James
                            Excellent resource! Thanks for sharing.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that info, James.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...