Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody got a line on an aftermarket replacement front brake reservoir? / GS1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody got a line on an aftermarket replacement front brake reservoir? / GS1100GK

Anybody got a line on an aftermarket replacement front brake reservoir? Bought a knockoff on ebay that was from china a few years back. The other day I was looking a the fluid level viewport and it looked like it had cracks in it, sure enough it just caved in! They used plastic instead of glass, surprise surprise....
    Thanks!

Some on Ebay. OEM ones at that
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

yea i don't see anything other than old used ones and non oem chinese ones made for single disc..

Comment

As you've found, knock-off brake reservoirs are not to be trusted with your life.
        I've been fitting Honda Deauville (NTV 650 / 700) brake master cylinders to mine for the past couple of years and they work very well.
        5/8 bore, with a modern adjustable span lever and they're just so much nicer to use than the originals anyway.
        I'd sooner fit a good used original part, with a rebuild kit if necessary, than trust the cheap junk that's on the market.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

In the parts diagram for the '82 GK, the master cylinder does not have a separate reservoir.

So what's on your bike, exactly?

If you have the original, you can replace the sight glass easily -- you can get high quality replacements on fleaBay or Amazon (the 18mm OD is almost universal). It does take a good bit of force to press the new one in, so be very careful and thoughtful about what you're doing. I pressed mine in with a vise, using one vise jaw inside the reservoir and the other against the window, everything padded with leather scraps. It's been working great for a few years.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X