X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bake hoses lines – buy or build?

Bake hoses lines – buy or build?

81 GS 750 L w/ original brake lines.

I’m up for, and would actually like to, build the lines but I know in some cases it’s only a couple bucks more to buy ready-to go.

1 – What has y’all’s experience been down this road?

2 – if I buy ready, who is a good supplier?

3 – if I build, supplier and the latest/beset sets of instructions? I have seen several versions of instructions over the years on this project.

4 – I’ll likely be also doing this to a 1983 GS750ES so the making knowledge is likely to have multiple uses.

Thanks!
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

I'll let Mr. Nessism take this one....

there's a excellent tutorial about how to make your oun BRAKE lines in the Popular Technical section part of the forum. ��
    Last edited by storm 64; 12-16-2017, 07:00 PM.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I buy them premade or cobble with Russell's stuff. More what you're into doing. I did hard line my 64 Dodge. Kind fun to learn to bend and flare tubing. I have looked at the Earl's Performance catalogue long enough to get an idea of the cost to build them . Lots of high quality premades to be found for low dough. http://www.helperformance.us/motorcy...ki-en-2/gs750/

Comment

I bought my single braided line while I was visiting my mother in the Inland Empire, California. I removed the old and brought it to a shop in Upland and they replicated it to the right length and angle for less than $20. I was happy.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I called rennsport and had a premade set shipped to me. I think it was right at a hundred bucks for the whole setup, banjo bolts and crush washers included. The rear line was a little long but worked out fine.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I've done both and have little preference. If you have to take your own measurements rather than choosing from a catalog, then I'd say make your own. Then you'll have the option to err on the side of caution. You can always disassemble it and make it a bit shorter. Not so with a crimped set made for you.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
            X