2000 Katana 750 (aka, Bandit?) front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 Katana 750 (aka, Bandit?) front end

While I'm a fan of updated, modern suspension and brakes, I kind of prefer the right side up forks.
    I'll be getting my hands on a 2000 Katana 750 donor bike. From what I've read, they frame and suspension is essentially the same as the Bandit, at least up until '98. I mention that because the Bandit upper triple uses handle bars.
    These are 41mm forks with 4 way rebound dampening adjustment. The bike had a 33° steering angle. Caster 25° 30'.

I would love to use this front end on my '80 GS550E. Does anyone have a little info on making these work? Are there other triples that would work better? The handle bar mounts would be easy to do.

Besides the numbers you have mentioned, you also need to consider fork leg spacing and offset angle.

I have no idea whether those parts will work together, just trying to fill in a couple more details.

Just to illustrate (with parts that I know), look at the triples of the "L" and "non-L" bikes. The bikes have the same steering geometry, including wheelbase, steering angle, caster, trail. The tube spacing is even the same. However, when you look at the angle from one fork tube through the steering stem to the other fork tube, you will see that the angle is flatter on the L.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have found that the Bandit has a rake of 25.0° and trail of 3.9 inches (98mm).

Comment

How do I convert that 3.9"/98mm into degrees?

Comment

That year model Bandit didn't have damping adjustments. Just preload. IIRC the rear shocks had rebound damping and that's it. I had a 2000 1200S.

Comment

I'm looking at the Bandit triples and the Katana forks.

In an effort to clean this up a bit, here's the info that I have so far. What can you make of it and what else do I need to find out?

GS550
            Steering angle 29°
            Trail 4.7"

Katana 750
            Steering angle 33°
            caster 25° 30'

Bandit
            Steering angle 25.0°
            trail 3.9 inches (98mm)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
              How do I convert that 3.9"/98mm into degrees?
              That has absolutely NOTHING to do with "degrees".

That measurement is how far the tire's contact patch is behind the steering axis.

If you look at the diagram, you will say "but the more degrees you have, the farther that line will be in front of the contact patch". True, but the forks can also be offset from the steering angle, and the axle can be ahead of, or behind, the fork tubes, all of which will affect the trail.

For street use, something about 4" works quite well.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X