Front spring install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front spring install

Hi guys, my shiny new sonic springs have arrived!
    ive read through my manual and the info provided with them, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips/tricks or handy info to share on installing them before I start?
    thanks

Originally posted by Nev View Post
    ive read through my manual and the info provided with them, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips/tricks or handy info to share on installing them before I start?
    thanks
    First, please create a signature which includes your bike model (81 550) so that we’ll know the bike you are referencing.

I just installed Sonic springs and Race Tech emulators. Follow Rich’s instruction related to fork oil and level. Without emulators it’s pretty strait forward. Make your measurements for the spacers carefully. The recommendations were right on the money for me. It’s a good upgrade.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Nev View Post
      thanks
      Just make sure everything else with the forks is good, ie slider bushings, orings and of course new fork seals and dust boots.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I have antidive so it made it a touch more challenging but if your bike is without antidive it is bone simple.

Things to consider. You will need a way of keeping the front end up while you remove the front end. Some guys have been able to use a jack under the engine but I built a simple wooden A frame because I didnt have room for the jack.

Be sure to not only drain your old oil but I gave a bit of a shake with some mineral spirits inside the tubes to get out any extra gunk and let them dry completely.

The instructions that came with the springs were dead on for preload for me. My front end is AMAZING after the spring swap.

Its best to use a miter box to cut the pvc just so you have an accurate measure.

Other than that .. no anti dive = easy peasy

Comment

Thanks fellas, what about the ‘ special tool ‘ ?
          they seem pretty straight forward to knock up, or am I best off getting the Suzuki one?

Comment

If you are only swapping oil and springs you dont need it. If you are doing seals then you will.

Comment

If you have air assist on those forks you can remove the circlip & pump in air to remove the seals (after emptying oil) if you want.. If not I have manage to put a screw through them & pull them out before (if you don't want to release the fork).

You don't need the special tool, a broom handle & an impact gun work pretty well or you can use the back end of a sparkplug socket (all well documented on here).

I use ATF fluid to flush them out because it's cheap & it won't matter if a minute amount is left in the fork...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ok cheers, I’m glad I asked now

Comment

Working...
                X