1983 GS650L Front End Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS650L Front End Swap

Hi there. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a front end swap for a restomod project? I’d like to upgrade the front end of this bike to a beefier set of forks, better brakes, etc. New to this game and despite lots of Googling, still don’t know what swap to make. Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the site, Don.
    Don't know specifically what would fit your bike but i would contact site member kochic.
    Marc is in your neck of the woods and is currently thinning out a parts stash.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Because you have an L model, there are a few things to keep in mind when you do your swap.

Everything from the steering stem forward works as a system. You can not simply pick and choose which pieces to replace, you need to do them all.

The L models had leading-axle forks, but the triples had a flatter profile to pull the forks back a bit, which keeps the axle in the same location relative to the rest of the bike as the non-L models.

If you just replace the fork tubes with ones that have the axle inline, the wheelbase will be shortened, but the trail will be increased. It will turn quicker, but will be harder to get it to turn.

Probably are some other issues, so just be sure you keep looking at the total package.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Welcome to the site, Don.
        Don't know specifically what would fit your bike but i would contact site member kochic.
        Marc is in your neck of the woods and is currently thinning out a parts stash.
        Thanks Steve!

Comment

Thanks Steve!

Comment

Working...
          X